Classic Mac as Serial-connected Terminal?

Hey all,

I'm thinking about using a Classic Mac running MacTerminal (or similar) with the mini din-8 serial port adapter-d to an RS-232 port which is in turn adapter-d to USB.

I think I can then bring this in to a TTY device on a 10.x running MacBook and send the terminal output to it.

Has anyone seen/done similar? 

Any total blockers?

Nope, it's pretty easy.  I'm doing exactly this with my eMate, actually, as a console onto a switch, but I did it with a PowerBook previously onto a Linux box.

60771625571__318AD463-9795-45E2-B018-9EA24748B66C.thumb.JPG.10b55a6a3759375e7cfc1981dba1e70c.JPG

Only thing to be aware of is the usual serial stuff about making sure that the Tx/Rx lines are swapped in the cable and/or using an adapter that will swap them for you, since at least all my 8-pin to RS232 leads are straight-through wired.

14 hours ago, cocoadelica said:

Hey all,

I'm thinking about using a Classic Mac running MacTerminal (or similar) with the mini din-8 serial port adapter-d to an RS-232 port which is in turn adapter-d to USB.

Any total blockers?

I recommend FreeTerm 2.0 for the terminal emulator, or ClarisWorks 2.1v3 if you've got a newer Mac. The hardest part is making the cable, but if you get a KeySpan USA-28X adapter, you can use a standard Apple printer cable.

Edited by Dog Cow