Using a SCSI Zip drive to boot a Macintosh plus?

Yes, although it is tricky. It involves putting Iomega Driver 4.2 or earlier in the System Folder of the Zip, and not using the disk with version 4.3. or greater. I will cut and past here a guide that I downloaded for it a long time ago. This is the quick and dirty details, as the whole thing is too long to put here:

Recently I got bitten by the bug and once again am a zealot for the plus- For some odd reason, I've decided to do whatever I can to help make these wonderful machines as useful as possible.

Quick Instructions

1. Create a SSW 6.0.8 boot disk with the Iomega 4.2 driver installed.
  2. With Plus powered off, Zip Drive powered off, attach the Zip Drive to the SCSI chain. Make sure the zip drive termination is set to "on" if it is the LAST device in the chain- set to "off" if other devices are AFTER zip drive.
  3. Power on all items on the SCSI chain.
  4. Power on Plus, booting from the floppy. Your Zip Disk should NOT be inserted in the drive yet.
  5. Insert the Zip Disk- it *should* mount.
  6. Select "Erase Disk" from the Special menu. This will properly format the disk for use with a Plus.
  7. Install System Software on to the Zip Disk.
  8. Place the Iomega 4.2 Driver into the System Folder (SSW 6.0.8) or the Extensions Folder (SSW 7.x).
  9. You *should* now have a bootable Iomega Zip Disk!

NOTE: The above procedure WILL NOT work if your zip disk is PC format- Iomega Tools are required if you have a PC format Zip Disk, and Iomega Tools does not work on a Plus.

7 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

Yes, although it is tricky. It involves putting Iomega Driver 4.2 or earlier in the System Folder of the Zip, and not using the disk with version 4.3. or greater. I will cut and past here a guide that I downloaded for it a long time ago. This is the quick and dirty details, as the whole thing is too long to put here:

Recently I got bitten by the bug and once again am a zealot for the plus- For some odd reason, I've decided to do whatever I can to help make these wonderful machines as useful as possible.

Quick Instructions

1. Create a SSW 6.0.8 boot disk with the Iomega 4.2 driver installed.
  2. With Plus powered off, Zip Drive powered off, attach the Zip Drive to the SCSI chain. Make sure the zip drive termination is set to "on" if it is the LAST device in the chain- set to "off" if other devices are AFTER zip drive.
  3. Power on all items on the SCSI chain.
  4. Power on Plus, booting from the floppy. Your Zip Disk should NOT be inserted in the drive yet.
  5. Insert the Zip Disk- it *should* mount.
  6. Select "Erase Disk" from the Special menu. This will properly format the disk for use with a Plus.
  7. Install System Software on to the Zip Disk.
  8. Place the Iomega 4.2 Driver into the System Folder (SSW 6.0.8) or the Extensions Folder (SSW 7.x).
  9. You *should* now have a bootable Iomega Zip Disk!

NOTE: The above procedure WILL NOT work if your zip disk is PC format- Iomega Tools are required if you have a PC format Zip Disk, and Iomega Tools does not work on a Plus.

could I do this on a windows pc with system 7? also im trying to do this without a bootable drive as I have no 800k floppys with the system

Edited by AdonVonPanzern

I don't think that is feasible unless somehow one of us (meaning perhaps me) can make an image of a Zip set up this way (I just so happen to possibly have one), and you can use Cider Press or some windows equivalent to make the image onto the Zip disks you have. It will take me until at least this weekend to get that going if you want to try the disk image route.

I am assuming you have a PC Zip drive.

4 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

I don't think that is feasible unless somehow one of us (meaning perhaps me) can make an image of a Zip set up this way (I just so happen to possibly have one), and you can use Cider Press or some windows equivalent to make the image onto the Zip disks you have. It will take me until at least this weekend to get that going if you want to try the disk image route.

I am assuming you have a PC Zip drive.

I don't own one but they arnt too expensive to get I would have to get a usb version though and get a usb to scsi adapter or if you were up for it I could possibly paypal you for the amount of the disk plus shipping.

Edited by AdonVonPanzern
addons
  • 2 weeks later...