• 1 month later...

That's likely to be how it is my dude. It'd be cool if someone could create a web service that loads pages in a server and translates them to something that older browsers could at least render part of the information.

On 3/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, glay78 said:

I tried but couldn’t load any webpage at all. Looks like it doesn’t supports current days websites anymore.

Here is Frank's text-only website

http://www.pda-soft.de/textonly.html

If you, like me, have trouble with this page your browser install needs tweaking. Please let me know what you do/did to make it work.

AichEss

On 3/8/2020 at 3:00 PM, Jinnai said:

That's likely to be how it is my dude. It'd be cool if someone could create a web service that loads pages in a server and translates them to something that older browsers could at least render part of the information.

Look up WRP :)

In theory,  you could access the Terminal by connecting to a Mac or Linux machine and thus use Lynx on the eMate.... That might be your best bet. I find that Lynx can often circumvent newspaper paywalls and such, so it is very handy for text-only browsing.

I should add that I haven't done this eMate voodoo myself, and have only ever thought of trying it on an AWS95 running A/UX -- where a serial connection is easier to manage -- but apparently it can be done: https://bytecellar.com/2007/09/11/newton_emate_30/

On 3/13/2020 at 6:08 PM, beachycove said:

In theory,  you could access the Terminal by connecting to a Mac or Linux machine and thus use Lynx on the eMate

Any idea what terminal emulation software is available?  I have a bunch of serial port-accessible devices and the eMate would make a lovely terminal for them

(edit: this should have been its own thread really.  created one.  sorry for hijack.)

Edited by cheesestraws
3 hours ago, cheesestraws said:

Any idea what terminal emulation software is available?  I have a bunch of serial port-accessible devices and the eMate would make a lovely terminal for them

(edit: this should have been its own thread really.  created one.  sorry for hijack.)

I had a Mac plus working with a raspberry pi using the serial connection from the gpio on the board. A dB-9 level shifter and a dB-9 to mini din  serial cable gets the connection going. Then just set up serial console and you can access the terminal (and lynx) from ur Mac.