Apple Internet Router 3.01

Won a boxed copy of this on eBay for $20.  Not sure what I'll do with it, but if I ever get a dedicated 68k Mac server, then I'll probably use it.  It has some interesting features.  I'm wondering if I can bridge two AppleTalk networks from across the internet with it.

12 minutes ago, olePigeon said:

... wondering if I can bridge two AppleTalk networks from across the internet with it.

Yes, in combination with another software product, Apple IP Gateway, and with the router software running on a machine at each end, it is possible to connect two separate zoned Appletalk networks through an IP tunnel.

Kind of neat, actually.

OOOOOOoooooohhhhh I tried to get my hands on that in college for $0, to do basically that.   Had a friend that worked in one of the computer labs, we were going to try to bridge the administrative Appletalk network to the dorm Appletalk network.      Just so we could monkey around on the network and see what kind of mischief we could get up to.     Closest I came was when one of the lab printers suddenly popped up on the dorm network...  I printed lots of many things to it. 

5 minutes ago, mactjaap said:

Download the MacIPgw VM at www.macip.net and you are also in business. 
Or the MacIPpi for 24/7 MacIP support. 

...which would most likely be faster and would certainly be more up to spec than the Apple IP Gateway, as the latter hails from the days of MacTCP.

• 68kMLA Supporter

No need to know anything about Linux

As quote from my web site:

You need three things to run the gateway:

– Virtualisation software, like Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/)

– The virtual machine with macipgw on it . Download below.

– A LocalTalk bridge. Can be hardware or software.

if you need help. Just let me know. This is why I make these tools. 

Edited by mactjaap