Radius SE Accelerator 16 ROM dumps

• 68kMLA Supporter

This post probably could have gone into Compact Macs or Peripherals, but programming EPROMs seems more hacky.  I have a lovely Radius SE Accelerator (16MHz 68020 and 68881) in my SE FDHD and it's got ROM v 1.8 with a date of 1987.  It works mostly okay, but I suspect the Radius ROM isn't totally compatible with System 6 or the SE FDHD's ROM.  So far, any version of the Radius software I've tried fails.  Older software seems to balk at System 6 and refuse to run, newer software tends to just crash spectacularly on load.  Does anybody have or know where I can find the 3.0 ROM dumps for this card?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

The inits I've tried definitely break things badly.  I suspect that the ROMs are inaccessible via software as the Radius documentation indicates you need to send the accelerator to them or replace the PROMs to upgrade.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Are you sure there is a ROM 3.0 for the Radius Accelerator 16 for the SE? I can’t remember my source for this (sorry) but my strong recollection is that the Plus and SE accelerators had different ROMs, and only the Plus accelerator ROMs ever got up to version 3.0. 

Edited by Crutch
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Found my reference. See link below. Per whenever this was published at least, the latest version of the Accelerator 16 SE ROM was 2.1 (still never than what you have) which should work with systems up to 7.1.  It sounds like older ROMs were known not to be System 7 compatible at all. 

ROM version 3.0 was for the Plus accelerator only, I had one until recently and can confirm it worked great with System 6.0.8 and 7.0.1. 

http://radius.vintagebox.de/RadiusQA/accelerators.html

• 1 year later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Thought I would follow up on this thread.  I  just got a TL866II Plus programmer and dumped my original v1.8 ROMs.

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/radius-accelerator-16-macintosh-se-rom-v18

I will be flashing the 2.1 ROMs I found  on Macintosh Repository and verifying compatibility soon.

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/27255-radius-se-accelerator-2-1-roms

• 68kMLA Supporter

Success!  I didn't have a UV EPROM eraser, so I made one with a $17 6w UV-C disinfecting lamp attached to the lid of a plywood box I had kicking around.  With the EPROMs a few inches below the lamp, they were completely erased in less than 5 minutes.  The SE shows the updated version on the Radius boot splash screen and it boots into 6.0.8 without throwing bus errors!

PXL_20210409_162739136.thumb.jpg.c673d983620331d5d1d0becbf5a71916.jpgPXL_20210409_162911292.thumb.jpg.6e155f9d5d17c2f4c3885a0073313fd8.jpgPXL_20210410_025142270.thumb.jpg.e92c0f8f3a0f2ca9793007ebf7b56f5d.jpg