Out of curiosity, what cards can be safely used in the Quadra 610 PDS slot? There is an elusive NuBus adaptor (Part 661-1718), a PPC upgrade and some class of an AV-card that converts the machine into a 660AV. What else can be used there?

Also, what other machines share this slot? I'm assuming the Quadra 660AV. Are there others?

Lastly, on a note of confirmation, the NewerTech QuadDoubler (50MHz 68040) for the Quadra 605 works in the Quadra 610. My beloved Performa 475 needs some love and attention. There is no more bong and the fan has stopped working. The PSU boots another LC III so I don't think that this is to blame. And it was recapped by Maccaps only a few ago. Sniff.

The QuadDoubler essentially blocks the use of the PDS slot, but it would be nice to what possibilities are.

Thanks!

quadra.centris_610.ws_60.pdf

Edited by ArmorAlley

The 610 and 660AV PDS slot was unique to those two machines. They could either be fitted with a right-angle PDS adapter that provided a normal 68040 PDS (used for the DOS Compatible card or a PPC upgrade) or a right-angle card that provided a single NuBus slot capable of fitting any standard 7" card. Mostly, though, they went unoccupied, just like the bulk of the non-AV versions of the 6100.

The AV section of the 660AV and 840AV was baked into the logic board itself; there were no separate cards to add it in like in the first gen Power Macs.

2 hours ago, ArmorAlley said:

There is no more bong and the fan has stopped working. The PSU boots another LC III so I don't think that this is to blame. And it was recapped by Maccaps only a few ago. Sniff.

Sounds like your typical power supply issue... The PSU is probably on be on its last legs and might have just enough oomph to boot the LCIII. I might be wrong but the Quaddoubler might induce a higher current draw as well. Do you still have the original CPU?

Edit: Wait. What did Charles recap? The PSU or the board? 

Edited by BadGoldEagle
1 hour ago, BadGoldEagle said:

Sounds like your typical power supply issue... The PSU is probably on be on its last legs and might have just enough oomph to boot the LCIII. I might be wrong but the Quaddoubler might induce a higher current draw as well. Do you still have the original CPU?

Edit: Wait. What did Charles recap? The PSU or the board? 

I'll give the P475 a go tonight with the stock 68LC040 and see if it works.

Charles did the motherboard only and upped the bus-speed to 33MHz (if I remember correctly). It worked until earlier on this week.

OK. I wouldn't worry too much then. You definitely have a bad PSU. 

The power supplies in the pizza boxes are getting especially weaker and weaker by the day. If the board demands too much, the PSU will just put itself into safety mode. I think that's what happening here. A stock P475/LC475/Q605 will demand more juice than the original LC, plus your machine is now overclocked AND accelerated. Since it works on a less demanding machine, your PSU not a complete loss. Because you see, sometimes a cap can take down another component when it shorts. That's why PSU recap jobs undertaken after they die are not always successful. That's especially true as it turns out for the Q900/950... I've been reading up on theses lately during my spare time. :)

I would try the LCIII's PSU on your accelerated P475 without the HD connected and see if it posts before you attempt anything else. That PSU might be 'healthier'...