Just sharing a neat thing I ran into today working on my 6100. PCI slot blower fans fit perfectly under the HDD cage without any Velcro. It's a snug fit so the fan will not move. This drastically improves airflow in the system, blowing cool air over the 601, Cache, and PDS expansion card.

C32q74K.jpg

Z76Lns8.jpg

I think this would be a valuable way of extending the service life of these machines. These 601 chips get hot. If you throw in a Houdini 486 card the system becomes an absolute inferno. More cool air should stop the chips from cooking themselves to death.

• 2 years later...

Hello from the future! 

How loud is (was) this? I know those fans can be loud.

I have a 6100/66 I recently acquired with the DOS card. The way it's (badly) designed, the 486 CPU on the DOS card sits *right* above the 601 processor and they both get cooking hot when run - way too hot IMO. So I've been looking into putting a fan in front of it.

• 68kMLA Supporter

While some active cooling seems definitely in order, I wonder if anyone can measure the footprint of these 601 machine's passive cooling mounts. I found these for later 603ev machines and they were loads better than the tinfoil hats you got out of the box: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/wakefield-vette/609-50ABS3/340351  datasheet for the precise footprint of the mount should be linked there, if not here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wakefield-Vette/609-50ABS3?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuFYi0ZsYM5P%2F5IOyjAjfBG

They look the same to my eyes, but that's what datasheets and micrometer calipers are for, I suppose :tongue:

Oh yes, agreed the standard heat sink on the 601 is terrible. If/when I pull this board out, I'll measure and post here. Will need to find some better heat sink that'll fit both horizontally and vertically (not hitting the DOS card).

• 68kMLA Supporter

Hopefully those are a fit, if not, I'd look up Wakefield-Vette's catalog as they still make an ENORMOUS range of heatsinks still in production. In fact, while I was looking there were a number of others that actually have PowerPC livery in their product photos!

That one I linked isn't very high, maybe 1-1.5cm ...whatever the datasheet says :lol: but they work very well in my overclocked 603ev machines. In fact, most of the >200Mhz Motorola StarMax boards have something similar to those, just the mounting hardware cutaways rotated 90° from what the product is now.  Your mileage may vary, but they were quite snug when I installed them... almost afraid of cracking the die, it was so tight.

I tried that heat sink.
Unfortunately, it hits the capacitor and cannot be installed as it is.
You will need to replace the capacitors with shorter ones or scrape the heatsink.
The spring was perfect.

I couldn't install the heatsink with the clamp down, so I didn't install the heatsink.

Even if the heatsink is turned 90 degrees sideways, it will hit the cache slot and cannot be installed.

I expected it to fit like you, but it's a shame.

Shave the heatsink, lower the height of the capacitor, both are troublesome.

Cutting down the heatsink to make room for that cap should be straightforward with any old drill press (if you want it to look nice) or a dremel (if you don't care).

Though, looking at it, I'm not sure it actually supplies more total surface area than the hokey cage-style heatsink that Apple supplied by default. Or at least not by much if it does. Though the improvement in clearance vertically is probably helpful if you're populating the PDS slot.

If you don't really care about the aesthetic and the ability to remove it, you can affix a very, very nice heatsink of various shapes and sizes using a thermal epoxy. I used such a setup to mount an a heatsink to an AMD Kabini setup where I had to use a copper GPU cooler on the CPU due to space constraints in a little EmulationStation box. It works great. Temps are much better than the stock cooling solution because the better heatsink & fan more than makes up for whatever loss is incurred from going the cement vs. paste route.

Edited by Nathan_A