Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi

My new IIc is in perfect condition but the bottom sticker is missing.

Here’s what I’m on about:

878A96A0-9321-4F89-92F0-F7644456B248.thumb.jpeg.1c38df20c2040b1eabf7a686151bb72d.jpeg

 

This picture is a great template to work on. I’ll use it to recreate a label on Photoshop.

 

Problem is, I have no idea what my IIc’s serial number could be. 2A2S4 seems to be common to all IIcs but the rest is specific to each machine. What I do have on the other hand is the logic board’s serial number. Could it be the same as the unit’s serial number? I don’t have another IIc to check unfortunately.

 

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m gonna use the LB’s serial number. It’s probably not the right one but at least that’s better than nothing.

 

@olePigeon, you have extensive knowledge when it comes to reproducing labels. I’ve got a question for you. Would you happen to know what type of font Apple used for the “Power Supply” text? I’m using Helvetica condensed and compressed and even though I’m adjusting the kerning a little, some characters simply aren’t the same... the “2” for example has a short “nose” (the roundy bit on the left) on the label and I can’t seem to find the correct font... I could hack it by inserting a rectangle or something but that doesn’t seem right. Any idea?

 

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the nice pics joe!

My IIc is a european one so there's bound to be differences anyway... But since yours is a ROM 255 as well, it's definitely worth taking a look at this.

 

What particularly struck me is the kerning between the version I've found online and yours. For example, the "T" and the "h" are really close together on the irish one and on yours you can actually see a small gap between the two letters. It could either mean two things. One, that the printer used to make the irish label is of shoddy quality or two, that the font used wasn't exactly the same.

 

I'd personally say it's a mix of the two. But the font I've found for the Power supply text matches yours better than mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

to me the most obvious difference in text is the small C of Apple IIc (smaller capital bold for Irish label and lowercase bold for US). Space between the 2 I is also different.

It seems more a "Sans serif" early font than an arial (or maybe an original postscript helvetica)

Edited by gilles
missing end...
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'Power Supply' typeface looks like another of Apple's uses of Univers, also used on loads of Keyboards until relatively recently. 

 

My guess is the bleedy quality could just be due to the difference between a fresh inking of the stamps that imprint the label, and a later point in a run where some of the ink is used up.

 

They're different stamps with slight differences in the design, but the squishy edges may just be that variance through the production run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2018 at 2:08 AM, BadGoldEagle said:

@olePigeon, you have extensive knowledge when it comes to reproducing labels. I’ve got a question for you. Would you happen to know what type of font Apple used for the “Power Supply” text? I’m using Helvetica condensed and compressed and even though I’m adjusting the kerning a little, some characters simply aren’t the same... the “2” for example has a short “nose” (the roundy bit on the left) on the label and I can’t seem to find the correct font... I could hack it by inserting a rectangle or something but that doesn’t seem right. Any idea?

I haven't made anything Apple //c, but all the logo type was Univers.  It looks like they likely used it for the label as well, but they didn't use the Italic.  They typed it out normally, then scewed it at an angle.

Edited by olePigeon
Link to post
Share on other sites

@BadGoldEagle I went ahead and made a duplicate label for you based on the picture you sent.  It isn't to scale, but you can fix that since it's vector.  The font was definitely Univers with a smattering of Helvetica (for the "Apple Computer, Inc."), but they didn't use the Oblique font, adjust kerning, or anything.  They just typed it out, squished it with the freeform tool, and sheered it about 20 degrees.

 

There was no consistency to the text of the label.  Someone who had no idea what they were doing made the label on a program they'd never used.  Probably an engineer.:D  "Who cares how it looks, as long as it works."

 

label.zip

 

preview.thumb.png.1073445820f9e525854b75ed7d9ec6d9.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, olePigeon said:

There was no consistency to the text of the label.  Someone who had no idea what they were doing made the label on a program they'd never used.  Probably an engineer.:D  "Who cares how it looks, as long as it works."

 

Don't be too sure.  I've seen plenty of inconsistent work by people that presumably ought to know what they're doing.

 

I wonder if the italics were faux italics created by choosing italics for a font that didn't have italics available.  Older versions of PageMaker, for example, would automatically skew a typeface in such a situation.  I remember one time I had to take a copy of a font in Fontographer and skew it so that it would match the "italics" of the font to which the customer had grown accustomed.

 

On an unrelated note, I also remember a customer that was shocked we didn't have the particular font they liked, because it was a popular font and "everyone uses it."  Yet, in thirty-some years, we've only had a single request for that font.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been hoarding fonts lately.  You can often find them for really cheap on eBay.  My biggest conquest was the original Open Type edition of the complete Adobe Font Folio for $160.  A friend of my parents works for Adobe and he got me an old copy for cheap.  I guess they were liquidating it because they now have over 2000+ fonts in the latest edition.  It's not like fonts go bad.  :P  I also bought the Adobe Pro Font collection, but that wasn't as impressive.  Only has like 10 fonts, but they are ridiculously extensive.  I guess that's why they're "pro" fonts.  Not to mention the various Apple font collection releases and Microsoft TrueType collections I bought cheap at a surplus store.  I also have a large collection of BitStream fonts that came on something like 12 floppies.  I need to dig them out and image them, plus a few odd Adobe fonts on floppy disk that are duplicates on my CD.  The disks look cool, though, so I might recreate the labels and file my fonts away on floppy for the heck of it.  It certainly would look cool if anything else.

 

I don't wanna be without fonts. :D

Edited by olePigeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olePigeon said:

I guess they were liquidating it because they now have over 2000+ fonts in the latest edition.  It's not like fonts go bad.  :P  I also bought the Adobe Pro Font collection, but that wasn't as impressive.  Only has like 10 fonts, but they are ridiculously extensive.  I guess that's why they're "pro" fonts.

Back in the deepest darkest days at the birth of desktop typesetting. Typeface somehow became equated with the word Font which is a collection of faces and Family was completely lost in the tide of the unwashed masses of wannabe desktop designers. Never mind the text/display differential. Anybody remember the days of eight different "Fonts" used on a single page? I still cringe when I see something set in OLD ENGLISH CAPS. ::)

 

Does your pro collection come with complete Families of Type or swashes and ligatures for the faces?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@olePigeonYou really are a font nerd, aren't you? Haha :lol:

 

I'm not really into all the ins and outs of what make up fonts, typefaces, and such, but I do appreciate a good, easy to read font.

 

That being said, there are some fonts I find kind of ugly (the helvetica font in Mac OS 8 and 9, fot instance; I've NEVER liked that font much), and some I do like (Charcoal, Geneva, and a few others in classic Mac-land, and MS Sans Serif for Windows).

 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Why is the word "The" appended onto "Apple IIc"? I don't generally see computer labels use the definite article in model names....

 

Guess it's just an old 1980's Apple quirk.

 

c

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow ole, thanks!

It looks so good compared to my unfinished canvas. 8-o

 

There’s nothing of interest left on the case but I’d say this is a 1985 machine, judging by the date stamp on the monitor. I have no idea how long ROM 255 units lasted until they were eventually replaced by ROM 0 machines... That label might very well come from a ROM 0 IIc. I don’t mind having the wrong type of label (normally I would though) because I’ll probably update the ROM to gain smartport fonctionality some time in the near future. Genuinity is not key for once.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5. September 2018 at 10:56 PM, olePigeon said:

I've been hoarding fonts lately.  You can often find them for really cheap on eBay.  My biggest conquest was the original Open Type edition of the complete Adobe Font Folio for $160.  A friend of my parents works for Adobe and he got me an old copy for cheap.  I guess they were liquidating it because they now have over 2000+ fonts in the latest edition.  It's not like fonts go bad.  :P  I also bought the Adobe Pro Font collection, but that wasn't as impressive.  Only has like 10 fonts, but they are ridiculously extensive.  I guess that's why they're "pro" fonts.  Not to mention the various Apple font collection releases and Microsoft TrueType collections I bought cheap at a surplus store.  I also have a large collection of BitStream fonts that came on something like 12 floppies.  I need to dig them out and image them, plus a few odd Adobe fonts on floppy disk that are duplicates on my CD.  The disks look cool, though, so I might recreate the labels and file my fonts away on floppy for the heck of it.  It certainly would look cool if anything else.

 

I don't wanna be without fonts. :D

I was big into type in the mid-1990s. I amassed a large hoard, printed out whatever samples I could, read books of kerning and leading.

Congrats on the Adobe Font Folio. I llusted after that for a long while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArmorAlley said:

I was big into type in the mid-1990s. I amassed a large hoard, printed out whatever samples I could, read books of kerning and leading.

 

Same here.  I'd always be looking at the type used on printed items and identify the typefaces used.  And I bought typefaces whenever I could.  A new FontHaus catalog was always a treat.

 

And, since I worked in printing, well, most printers had a dozen or two typefaces to choose from.  But when customers came in and asked what typefaces we had available to use for their flyer, I'd bring out a 2-inch three-ring binder filled with type selections.  And then I'd have to go grab Volume 2, a second 2-inch three-ring binder filled with selections.

 

And then it was like, um, just use what you think will look best.

 

But then font companies started to get all sorts of crazy with licensing . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...