iBook G3 2001

Hi,

Just scored a 2001 iBook G3 for 40 € in great condition :)

It is a Dual USB (M6497) with a DVD drive and 640 MB of RAM, battery is completely dead after 17 years as you could have guessed :-p

However, everything was working fine until yesterday.. :-/

I wanted to upgrade the iBook to Panther, plugged it and turned it on.

After a little while I noticed that little sparks were appearing inside the power cord that goes to the iBook near the plug (it has a yoyo power adapter).

After a while the iBook suddenly stopped and now I just can't turn it on anymore.

My guess is that the adapter might be broken because if I bring it near my ear I can hear a little click-click sound, even when not plugged to the iBook (short circuit ?)

Is this a normal behaviour ?

I hope that it has not fried the motherboard or anything like that.

Do you have any advice for a cheap adapter replacement ?

Thanks!

Edit: Another weird thing, of all the pictures I see on the Internet I can clearly see that the plug that goes into the iBook has a pin that goes a little bit out of the shield.

s-l1600.jpg

Mine doesn't and it has never been the case since I bought it :eek:

Maybe the little tip just broke into the iBook port, got to check this out later

Edited by Arths
11 minutes ago, bibilit said:

can be a problem with the connector.

A repair can be done:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Replace-the-DC-plug-on-an-Apple-iBook-silver-%22yo-y/

I will check this out as soon as I get home, thanks :)

I can see that you own a white iBook G3, does your yoyo adapter make a click noise when plugged to the wall outlet?

If the tip has come off the charger, I'd just replace it with one of the newer white bricks.  45W will work just fine, though if you get the 65W and have a working battery it'll charge it up faster.  The old yo-yo design had issues with charger wires getting frayed and leading to sparks, like you saw.  If the charger managed to mess up the DC jack on the machine itself the good news is that's a replaceable part.  iceBooks may be a bear to get into but once you've got it disassembled they're pretty easy to work on.

As far as the machine not powering up, have you tried resetting the power manager on it?  If you take out the battery and hold the power button down for ~30 seconds or so that should wipe it out and then, assuming you have a working battery, you should be able to pop that back in and it will power on.  If it's a 500MHz machine, you'll also have a little button next to the headphone jack which does much the same (archived link).

3 hours ago, EvilCapitalist said:

If the tip has come off the charger, I'd just replace it with one of the newer white bricks.  45W will work just fine, though if you get the 65W and have a working battery it'll charge it up faster.  The old yo-yo design had issues with charger wires getting frayed and leading to sparks, like you saw.  If the charger managed to mess up the DC jack on the machine itself the good news is that's a replaceable part.  iceBooks may be a bear to get into but once you've got it disassembled they're pretty easy to work on.

As far as the machine not powering up, have you tried resetting the power manager on it?  If you take out the battery and hold the power button down for ~30 seconds or so that should wipe it out and then, assuming you have a working battery, you should be able to pop that back in and it will power on.  If it's a 500MHz machine, you'll also have a little button next to the headphone jack which does much the same (archived link).

Thanks for the advice,

Well I’m currently trying to repair the yoyo plug. I’ve cut the cord where it seemed a little bit burnt and guess what, the adapter doesn’t make a clicking sound anymore so I guess there was a short circuit.

After inspection some of the wires inside the plastic cable were burnt

I’ll have to find a 2.5mm jack to solder the wires to.

@bibilit I've seen on another thread that you've been able to boot your iBook from a USB key to reinstall OS X.

Been trying that with Panther and Tiger but mine can't detect the USB key either in the startup manager or Open Firmware.

Can you PM me about what you did to succeed ? :)

Thanks