20 minutes ago, mactjaap said:

Moved to Lisa Forum? This is the Lisa forum for 68kmla. What happend to this post. 

This was originally opened by the OP in the "General 68kmla News & Stuff" forum and moved *here*. My comment was simply noting that. (The report that was filed about this post was "new" when I did that.)

We have actually had a minor rash of new members opening topics in that forum, presumably because it's at the top of the list. Please, people, actually look down the list of available forums and choose the right category before posting.

14 hours ago, Masquedefer said:

I have a lisa1. It has not been used since 1987. I am looking for advice on how to start it working and the best way to sell it. From memory it was upgraded to an x(l???) by the addition of an emulator. I read that there are less than 100 in the world.

It was upgraded??  Most Lisa 1's were upgraded to become Lisa 2's (MacXL's), this is what makes the ones that weren't upgraded rare and the ones that were upgraded not-so-rare.

Does the system (or you) still have the 5 1/4" disk drives and faceplate?  Was the battery removed?

Photos would be a help.

Rick

Edited by lisa2
spelling

What a fascinating story. I think photo’s will make this story great! Most users here in this  “Lisa section” of the 68kmla will have Lisa 2/5 or 2/10. But there will be few with a Lisa 1. No problem because together we can try to get your machine working. 

It's clear from the photo that the system was converted (upgraded) to be a Lisa 2 (this was very common at the time).  Before you attempt to turn it on, open the back cover and see if the white battery pack in the lower right corner of the IO board (the large green PCB facing you with the cover off) is present and take some close up photos of the area.   I fear that if it's been sitting in the box since 1987 you will have battery damage.

Also, in your photo you have a Macintosh mouse and a Macintosh Plus keyboard in addition to the lisa keyboard and mouse.

Rick

That is what I was afraid of.  You have major damage to the IO and mother boards.  

At get this working again, you will need to replace (or repair) those boards and possibly the card cage pan.  

In reference to your original post, you do not have a Lisa 1 anymore, but a Lisa 2 that needs a lot work, but is still worth saving.

Rick

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, Masquedefer said:

Hello

Thank you everyone for taking the time and effort to give an opinion on the condition of my Lisa2.  I am in the UK, do you know of anyone locally who could sort this out for me?

I will trawl your forum posts too. Thank you once again

If you've still not had contact with someone to take a look at this, send me a PM. I'm based near London/Cambridge and would be happy to look at it more closely, but It's not looking good from the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:14 AM, Masquedefer said:

Hi

it is still in my cupboard. Apparently a Lisa 2 because it has the smaller floppy disk drive. It has Macworks software installed so emulates a Mac plus. 

Mould on pcbs so needs a good clean and circuit test before switching on. 

That’s not mold, it’s corrosion and other byproducts of the leaking batteries. It can (possibly) be repaired, but will take a lot more than simple cleaning.