My Color Classic is repaired, and I have loaded 7.1 on it with Update 3.

Now I want to install either MacTCP or OT and setup the ethernet. I have an Asante MCLC Twisted Pair card installed. When I plug in a cable, it lights up. I have tried unsuccessfully to get this working. First I installed the Asante Ethernet Installer 5.2.9, that installed MacTCP 1.1.1, but it would not connect to my LocalTalk network via EtherTalk after that installation. Serial LocalTalk works fine.

I searched the net a bit and found a walkthrough for installing ethernet in an SE/30 running 7.0.1 or 7.1. Using that guide, I installed the Network Software Installer, followed by MacTCP 2.0.6 and the patch to 2.1. Still, I cannot get any communication to work over ethernet.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Did I mess things up when I installed the Asante stuff first before I installed the Network Software Installed and the MacTCP 2? Should I be using different versions of this stuff?

I use Mac TCP 2.1 on a IIci with 7.1.1 and an Asante MC3NB card. Also have NSI 1.5  and Appleshare WS 3.5

You probably already checked -- but make sure  Ethernet is selected for TCP/IP.

Mac TCP doesn't load the TCP/IP stack until you have an app that needs TCP/IP

Do you have Mac TCP Ping? Try loading that and then ping another device on the network.

2 hours ago, rickrob said:

I use Mac TCP 2.1 on a IIci with 7.1.1 and an Asante MC3NB card. Also have NSI 1.5  and Appleshare WS 3.5

You probably already checked -- but make sure  Ethernet is selected for TCP/IP.

Mac TCP doesn't load the TCP/IP stack until you have an app that needs TCP/IP

Do you have Mac TCP Ping? Try loading that and then ping another device on the network.

I do have Ethernet selected for TCPIP. Also I have it selected for AppleTalk. When I try to use Chooser to browse, shouldn’t it load the stack at that time?

i do not have MacPing. I will get it and try that. 

3 hours ago, jefframsey said:

I do have Ethernet selected for TCPIP. Also I have it selected for AppleTalk. When I try to use Chooser to browse, shouldn’t it load the stack at that time?

i do not have MacPing. I will get it and try that. 

I don't think chooser would load TCP/IP on System 7.1

It didn't support connections with TCP /IP.    My chooser on 7.6.1 has the  button to connect with TCP/IP, but that's Open Transport and a later version of AFP and chooser.

15 hours ago, rickrob said:

I don't think chooser would load TCP/IP on System 7.1

It didn't support connections with TCP /IP.    My chooser on 7.6.1 has the  button to connect with TCP/IP, but that's Open Transport and a later version of AFP and chooser.

Everything I am reading says I should be able to run Ethertalk in System 7.1 I have it installed and I can select the icon and it seems to allow the selection. I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue between my NIC and my WiFi bridge device...

On 5/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, rickrob said:

Ethertalk is Appletalk over ethernet-- Are you having trouble with that or TCP/IP? or both?

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 with MacTCP Ping? That would show that the stack is loaded.

I cannot ping the loopback at 127.0.0.1 or anything else. 

I even went as far as to load 7.5.5 and OT and still had nothing. I am beginning to think that the NIC that came installed in this CC was dead. I may have to get another one and try it out. 

35 minutes ago, jhorvath911 said:

I know you said you get a link light but what kind of switch/hub do you have it connected too?  A lot of times I have found that my machines only want to work with a 10 base t hub between the Mac and newer switches/routers.

That's a good point-- My setup uses a Farallon Ether 10T / Starlet 8 hub with 10 Base T / 10 Base 2 coax

Edited by rickrob
added info
21 hours ago, jhorvath911 said:

I know you said you get a link light but what kind of switch/hub do you have it connected too?  A lot of times I have found that my machines only want to work with a 10 base t hub between the Mac and newer switches/routers.

I have a Netgear 10bt hub somewhere too...

Right now, I have it connected to a Linksys WiFi bridge, not the most "compatible" device known to man, or Mac.

That's something I would definitely look into. I've set up plenty of my vintage macs online and as long as you have drivers, tcp/ip setup manually, and a 10 base t hub in there you should be good to go.  For whatever reason newer routers and especially dhcp don't like to work.