Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My Color Classic is repaired, and I have loaded 7.1 on it with Update 3.

 

Now I want to install either MacTCP or OT and setup the ethernet. I have an Asante MCLC Twisted Pair card installed. When I plug in a cable, it lights up. I have tried unsuccessfully to get this working. First I installed the Asante Ethernet Installer 5.2.9, that installed MacTCP 1.1.1, but it would not connect to my LocalTalk network via EtherTalk after that installation. Serial LocalTalk works fine.

 

I searched the net a bit and found a walkthrough for installing ethernet in an SE/30 running 7.0.1 or 7.1. Using that guide, I installed the Network Software Installer, followed by MacTCP 2.0.6 and the patch to 2.1. Still, I cannot get any communication to work over ethernet.

 

Does anyone have any advice for me? Did I mess things up when I installed the Asante stuff first before I installed the Network Software Installed and the MacTCP 2? Should I be using different versions of this stuff?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Mac TCP 2.1 on a IIci with 7.1.1 and an Asante MC3NB card. Also have NSI 1.5  and Appleshare WS 3.5

 

You probably already checked -- but make sure  Ethernet is selected for TCP/IP.


Mac TCP doesn't load the TCP/IP stack until you have an app that needs TCP/IP

 

Do you have Mac TCP Ping? Try loading that and then ping another device on the network.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rickrob said:

I use Mac TCP 2.1 on a IIci with 7.1.1 and an Asante MC3NB card. Also have NSI 1.5  and Appleshare WS 3.5

 

You probably already checked -- but make sure  Ethernet is selected for TCP/IP.


Mac TCP doesn't load the TCP/IP stack until you have an app that needs TCP/IP

 

Do you have Mac TCP Ping? Try loading that and then ping another device on the network.

 

 

I do have Ethernet selected for TCPIP. Also I have it selected for AppleTalk. When I try to use Chooser to browse, shouldn’t it load the stack at that time?

 

i do not have MacPing. I will get it and try that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jefframsey said:

I do have Ethernet selected for TCPIP. Also I have it selected for AppleTalk. When I try to use Chooser to browse, shouldn’t it load the stack at that time?

 

i do not have MacPing. I will get it and try that. 

 

I don't think chooser would load TCP/IP on System 7.1

 

It didn't support connections with TCP /IP.    My chooser on 7.6.1 has the  button to connect with TCP/IP, but that's Open Transport and a later version of AFP and chooser.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rickrob said:

 

I don't think chooser would load TCP/IP on System 7.1

 

It didn't support connections with TCP /IP.    My chooser on 7.6.1 has the  button to connect with TCP/IP, but that's Open Transport and a later version of AFP and chooser.

 

 

Everything I am reading says I should be able to run Ethertalk in System 7.1 I have it installed and I can select the icon and it seems to allow the selection. I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue between my NIC and my WiFi bridge device...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2018 at 8:04 AM, rickrob said:

Ethertalk is Appletalk over ethernet-- Are you having trouble with that or TCP/IP? or both?

 

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 with MacTCP Ping? That would show that the stack is loaded.

 

I cannot ping the loopback at 127.0.0.1 or anything else. 

 

I even went as far as to load 7.5.5 and OT and still had nothing. I am beginning to think that the NIC that came installed in this CC was dead. I may have to get another one and try it out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jhorvath911 said:

I know you said you get a link light but what kind of switch/hub do you have it connected too?  A lot of times I have found that my machines only want to work with a 10 base t hub between the Mac and newer switches/routers.

That's a good point-- My setup uses a Farallon Ether 10T / Starlet 8 hub with 10 Base T / 10 Base 2 coax

Edited by rickrob
added info
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jhorvath911 said:

I know you said you get a link light but what kind of switch/hub do you have it connected too?  A lot of times I have found that my machines only want to work with a 10 base t hub between the Mac and newer switches/routers.

I have a Netgear 10bt hub somewhere too...

 

Right now, I have it connected to a Linksys WiFi bridge, not the most "compatible" device known to man, or Mac.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's something I would definitely look into. I've set up plenty of my vintage macs online and as long as you have drivers, tcp/ip setup manually, and a 10 base t hub in there you should be good to go.  For whatever reason newer routers and especially dhcp don't like to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...