Macintosh Portable battery replacement

I got a Macintosh portable with the original battery, and of course, the battery was dead and wouldn't charge. I looked online about how to (try and) turn it on. It worked but the only weird thing about it is that I need to use a Powerbook power adapter with it (good thing it came with both a Macintosh portable charger and Powerbook charger) and I kinda got to fiddle with it a little bit to get it on. But, I turned it on for the first time and was very pleasantly surprised when I saw the happy mac! Now, I need a new battery and I know you can make one for super cheap. I know that it needs to be a 6v/5amp battery though. I'm pretty sure you can get one at Walmart for around $10, maybe like this one. You would also need gator clips (or other wires), but I don't know of a store nearby that sells them or how much they would be. Any help or advice?

Edited by Retro Rider
looking around

The Portable is meant to be operated with a good battery in it at all times.

The charger for the Portable isn't meant to (can't) power the Portable without a battery.

Using the Powerbook charger may make the Portable work for a while but it will damage circuitry and kill the Portable.

9 hours ago, MOS8_030 said:

The Portable is meant to be operated with a good battery in it at all times.

The charger for the Portable isn't meant to (can't) power the Portable without a battery.

Using the Powerbook charger may make the Portable work for a while but it will damage circuitry and kill the Portable.

I cannot stress enough that this is a fact - DO NOT attempt to start the Macintosh portable with anything other than the correct charger and both fully functioning  batteries.  Oh, and test the Macintosh portable's correct charger to see if the output voltage is correct - some of them need to be recapped by now.

The first one I bought died from this exact scenario, before we knew it was a thing.

Its too bad that bad information on the internet can't be rescinded or at least annotated.  New folks are going to keep finding this bad advice forever.

Edited by Juror22

You can use this one as a replacement

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-4-5Ah-Sealed-Lead-Battery/dp/B000PHD6DG

Will fit in the original enclosure with a bit of work...or not, apparently two suppliers made the casing for the original battery, and one is thicker than the other one.

You should keep the two gold plated  units of course.