Macintosh Classic horizontal line

I got 2 Macintosh classic's (with some other stuff) not so long ago, and when I booted up the Mac classics, they both had this line (see picture, although one of them was a little dimmer. Also one in the pic has had varying results). One of them crapped out while I was trying to fix it and smelt like burn, but the other one still shows a line. I haven't really been able to find anyone else with this problem, so how do I fix this?

IMG_2648.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Verault said:

Retro Rider, I am having the same issue on my compact mac, started a thread a couple weeks back:

let me know what you find out! I looked at the dead mac scrolls, issue with mine is horrizontal bar but no BONG.

When I was playing around with mine (I think it was when I installed some more ram), I also got a broken line. I also get no bong, but it might be the speaker because on my se/30 (my only sort of functioning 68k mac) it doesn't do a bong and won't play any sound at all.

Mine is a mac Plus. Was working but when I got it had major battery corrosion to the metal chassis and analog board. the logic board is fine. The analog board was working before I started any cleanup. I was using the machine. But when I gave it a thorough cleaning , I got the horizontal bar. Replaced all electrolytic caps and rifas. Tried another known good flyback, still nothing. Tested all IC's, they are fine.  Time to movie to the transistors and diodes I guess.

Edited by Verault
40 minutes ago, Retro Rider said:

I also get no bong, but it might be the speaker because on my se/30 (my only sort of functioning 68k mac) it doesn't do a bong and won't play any sound at all.

No, that's much more likely a symptom of failed or failing capacitors-- as is the failed vertical deflection on the CRT. I have had this happen on several Macs. If you put your ear to it and turn the volume up, you may be able to hear a sound.

Looks like you've got 2 old Macs ready for new capacitors. :-) 

Edited by Dog Cow

also, your horizontal line is very bright (turn down the brightness alot while diagnosing as to not burn the crt) you may want to just resolder every contact on your flyback transformer. When I swapped my flyback out and boot it up for the first time the horizontal bar was EXTREMELY Bright! with a hum. I took the analog board back out and realized one of he pins to the flyback didnt have the best connection, I added a touch more solder and the horizontal bar was a little more dim and broken as before I swapped it.