G'day,

After many years admiring, I finally bought a PowerMac G4 Cube a few years ago off eBay.  Not a perfect specimen, but came with a 1.5Ghz Sonnet upgrade card, maxed RAM, decent hard drive...

Unfortunately one thing I didn't realise at the time, was that it is missing the black 2pin cable that supplies power from the logicboard to the video card riser (shown in pic), to power the ADC port.  As such, the Cube wont work with an Apple Studio Display.  :(

s-l225.jpg

I've searched the net high and low, but can't find anyone selling the cable - whilst some sell the riser, they don't include the cable, and some sell the logicboard, but again no cable...

As such I'm wondering if I'd be able to manufacture my own... 

Is there any Cube owners out there who could do me the huge favour of opening their Cube and getting some pics of the 2 connectors so I might be able to match them up with some off the shelf connectors?

Thanks,

cosmic

Edited by cosmichobo

Removing that cable may have been intentional on the part of the previous owner, given that powering an ADC monitor (especially if it's a CRT) plus an upgraded CPU would be putting quite a strain on the VRM.  This is assuming that the machine is still on a stock VRM as opposed to an upgraded one.

Hi EvilCapitalist,

Thanks for the reply!  Hadn't considered the possibility it was deliberate - I was thinking maybe the previous owner had been using a non-ADC card, then swapped it back for sale...  I have heard that the VRM can be an issue in the Cube, but there's a better version you can install.  I haven't checked to see what model is in my Cube as yet.

The Studio Display I am wanting to use is just the LCD version, 17".  Hopefully even with the Sonnet card it wont be too much draw...

On 4/1/2018 at 1:30 PM, cosmichobo said:

Is there any Cube owners out there who could do me the huge favour of opening their Cube and getting some pics of the 2 connectors so I might be able to match them up with some off the shelf connectors?

I have a CPU upgrade so the wiring is slightly different but the connector on the AGP riser card is the same (pics attached). The male connector has the code 43205 (second image) which is a standard Molex connector. The connector is the same in the other end.

IMG_0956.jpeg

IMG_0957.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

IMG_0959.jpeg

Edited by Andropov