Can’t open sit files with StuffIt 3.5 on Macintosh SE

StuffIt 3.5 can’t see some .sit fires. I tried to install Aladin StuffIt 5.something and I don’t have 8mb or RAM on my 4mb SE. is there another software repository where everything for 68k is stored in floppy format (.dsk)?  I am using SCSI2SD and Floppy Emu. 

Thanks. 

Almost everything is stored in SIT format or as Toast (= ISO) images. 

They are probably compressed with StuffIt 6 or 7.

One option if you have a modern computer is to run Mac OS 8 or 9 within SheepSaver and decompress it there.

Alternatively, if you tell me which sit-file it is, I can download it from Macintosh Garden, decompress it, recompressit with StuffIt 4 and re-upload it.

I dunno, my experience has been everything i have decompressed has been in Stuffit 4+ format which earlier versions wont decompress. You need Stuffit 5 minimum these days. 

I havent yet encountered stuffit 6/7 format but maybe I am just lucky, or not? 

Edited by techknight

I ended up dusting off an old G5 Powermac I had lying around.  It turns out that all Macintosh files are put into .sit files because if the touch any file system other than Mac OS's then it messes them up.  So I was able to put OS9 in classic mode (on my G5 running Tiger 10.4.11) then I downloaded a later version of stuffit expander - 5.5 I think and I was able to get those pesky files open!

Is there a floppy disk emulator that runs on top of System 7.0?  Sometimes when I extract .sit files it includes a .dsk image.  It would be nice if I could mount that image when inside of System 7.  I am currently using "Floppy Emu" so I do have that option.  It just gets annoying working at floppy disk speeds.  Not to mention that my SE regular only recognizes 800k or smaller disks...

2 hours ago, itdude99 said:

...then I downloaded a later version of stuffit expander - 5.5 I think and I was able to get those pesky files open!

It probably was StuffIt Expander 5.5.  It was pretty much the Swiss army knife of opening compressed files back in the day.  StuffIt Expander 3.0.3 was also pretty good and had low memory requirements (384k).

2 hours ago, ArmorAlley said:

I do find that either DiskCopy 6.3 or Virtual CD/DVD open most images but I run these in Mac OS 8.6.

DiskCopy 6.3.3 will run under System 7.5.3.  Not sure about earlier versions of System 7.