powerbook 2400c 180 - schematics

Does anyone know where schematics can be found for the 2400c? Mine has GLOD and the power board fuses all have continuity. I am going to try and figure out how to check voltage while the little DC in circuit is powered up but this would be a first for me so I am watching videos to try and understand how this is done on some other basic portable. Very frustrating when knowledge is next to zero.

The machine goes GLOD (green light of death) the moment I press the reset button on the back of the machine. I find it ironic that schematics for more modern macbook pros are available but this one is impossible to find.

Any help?

Edited by Alex

Never found it - I repaired two 2400c some years ago with GLOD, the owner used an original PowerBook Duo charger on it which blew most of the fuses. I believe it’s a particularly sensitive Mac.

All I can suggest is to trawl through the LowEndMac Duo mailing list, which had the most information on repairs I could find. 

1 minute ago, Byrd said:

All I can suggest is to trawl through the LowEndMac Duo mailing list, which had the most information on repairs I could find. 

I checked all the fuses on the top of the AC board, they all have continuity so I figure they are good.

I will check duo list — odd that the 2400 is designated there. Not only is this machine rare but info is truly hard to find. Ok, I will check there.

I want to check the DC power going through the board while it's plugged in. Where would I put the multimeter's negative probe? Do you know? This is what I am not sure about so am hesitant because if I can do that maybe I can check to see if what I suspect is 9V DC coming into the board. Anyway, I appreciate the reply. 

It is generally a very poorly documented machine, though ISTR that there was at one time a basic account of an attempt to check the fuses out there somewhere, with pics. I can't at this distance remember where I saw that, other than that it was on a 2400c hobbyist's website.

The Duo mailing list is a really good lead, as the handful of people tinkering with the 2400c tended to find one another there. Otherwise, 2400s were extensively hacked in Japan, so amateur documentation efforts might be found there. But how you would track such things down in Japanese is a good question.

Otherwise, even the Apple service manual is rudimentary.

No matter what you do, though, a 2400c exhibiting GLOD symptoms is not going to function properly without a working backup battery. Many tinkerers have tried before you -- no point beating your head against a wall. The Varta cells I referenced in another thread are what you need for that part of the puzzle. Fuses I know zero about personally.

2 minutes ago, beachycove said:

No matter what you do, though, a 2400c exhibiting GLOD symptoms is not going to function properly without a working backup battery.

So I really need that battery then huh? Peculiar indeed. Ok, I better get on that list and I suppose I could use google translate to go from English to Japanese to roam those sites. Thanks for the comments and yes I saw your other thread on GLOD here on 68kmla, thanks for the reminder. Much appreciated.

I'll check my 2400c for you in a couple of days; pretty sure the PRAM battery in mine is dead, it was a repaired fuse unit (twice - yes I plugged in a PB Duo charger without thinking and had to do the fuse repair and testing all over again!).

Have you picked up all the SMT fuses?  IIRC there were 5-6 of them (again I'm rusty, it was five years ago I had to pull mine apart)

On 1/27/2018 at 8:55 PM, beachycove said:

It is generally a very poorly documented machine, though ISTR that there was at one time a basic account of an attempt to check the fuses out there somewhere, with pics.

I just posted pics of all fuses in a separate post here on 68klma