In the last bit, I've had a few 17" ADC Cinema LCD displays pass through my hands. It seems like in more than half of them the USB port isn't working. I know it's not the video cards as I've also tried them with a known good DVI adapter. I was wondering if I just chanced on a bad bunch or is this usual?

• 1 month later...

Not with ADC. The Mac LCD ADC monitors have only the one cable. It had power, video signal and USB in the one connector. The video card supplied all of it, power, video and USB.

Apple later made an adapter to let you use those monitors on other computers without ADC video cards. The adapter was a power supply and had cables to plug into DVI and USB.

I have had three of them with no problems experienced with USB — other than the fact that it's not USB2! Backlighting/ inverter board problems are what I have seen.

I seem to recall that the ADC displays gave out an unusually high current to USB devices. Could it be that the components regulating this are getting tired?

Is the USB hub in the display supposed to show up in System Profiler like the hub in a keyboard? That might shed some light.

Also - could you test these ports for if they are getting 5 Volts like they should? One way to test this is by plugging some sort of device that charges off of a USB port and seeing if it starts charging. If you're just missing the 5 Volts, that probably wouldn't be too terribly hard to fix.