Warning! Exploding Maxell PRAM Batteries

Yes its pretty crazy not sure the issue but it seems pretty wide spread. and uniserver I'm glad there was something to save in there, I am surprised the HD is dead, maybe it has something to do with the board because it was tip top when put away years ago, even had some neat programs on there IIRC. I am surprised the PSU is good since it look liked it got hit pretty good.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
This should be stickied if not already.

Done. I might also move this to a more visible forum, seeing as this is not specifically an LC/Performa issue. The Lounge?

I don't think so. It needs to be visible to non 68kmla members. I read this a while before a member, and found it very important (although fortunately my mac hadn't suffered).

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread, I decided to pull out the macs I have stored in my basement to see if I had left any of the PRAM batteries in them.

I started with my G3 B&W, nothing there, then the 8500, which had a Tadiran battery in it, I decided to leave it in, as I didn't feel like taking it all the way apart just to take it out.

Once I got to my 7100, I opened it and found this:

Photoon7-21-12at208AM.jpg

It's still sealed, so that's a relief :) . I've had these machines stored for about a year now, so I'm glad I checked before my 7100 bit the dust from the maxell bomb.

I just need to check my eMac and iMac DV upstairs now.

• 2 months later...

Guess it can happen with Tadiran batteries. Tested out an SE/30 that I got today. Wouldn't boot, showed what looked like a mixture of checkerboard and the normal startup screen on the monitor. After repeated attempts to get the machine to boot, I got out the T-15. Opened it up, found some capacitor leakage that was visible from under the motherboard. Pulled the board and found this:

8046367953_8d904840c6_c.jpg

As per usual, the battery holder wasn't attached to the board anymore. So, I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to replace these guys, no matter what brand they are, on a 10 year schedule. Maybe sooner.

I also tore into a IIcx that came with the SE/30 and a bunch of other machines. No explosion yet from the Tadiran battery, but it was getting a little stinky and corroded looking.

-J

On the topic of Network Time Synchronizer:

Does anyone else have problems with it crippling your computer? I have 2 7100's running OS 8.5.1 and they both just lock up until command-opt-escape lets me force quit (and when I do its ALWAYS Network Time Synchronizer thats doing it).

I've left it for hours and come back and it's still locked. Is there something I can do to get it working properly?

• 6 months later...

I haven't specifically seen a Maxell battery blow up, but I've dealt with several other brands. Don't remember which. Really, it doesn't matter, they can all leak.

IMO there is zero reason to even have a PRAM battery in any old Mac that you are not using on a daily basis that doesn't require it to boot. It's just too risky and there's no reason to damage your equipment with a battery that explodes.

• 1 month later...

Another one bites the dust...or should I say has bitten the dust:

Picked up an LC with monitor for a tenner today and was told it wasn't working. When I got home and spotted all the rust on the backpanel I got suspicious...more rust than usual....this couldn't be, could it???

LC_looking_bad.jpg

Looks like a Maxell alright. Mind you I also have an unexploded Maxell from 1992 but the plot thickens....

I didn't know caps could turn into mushrooms either....

cap_mushrooms.jpg

Ah well at least the harddrive, floppy and PSU are still OK...now can I use that floppy in my SE?

I didn't know caps could turn into mushrooms either....

cap_mushrooms.jpg

Ah well at least the harddrive, floppy and PSU are still OK...now can I use that floppy in my SE?

What is that....that.....stuff? That couldn't *all* have come from the caps, could it?

Yeah looks pretty cool alright, not if you're a poor LC though.

Have decided to try and get it going again; have scrubbed it down pretty well and it doesn't look too bad. Have to replace the caps alright and not sure if the pads are gone...also have to resolder some pins of the 68020 which have come loose...very strange. The only major problem is one of the socketed chips (what are they?) where there is major corrosion. If I take it out, I'll probably loose half the legs :(

Well I'm away for a few weeks so this will have to wait...might start a new thread once I have something to report.

Laters.

PS: Thanks markyb86, will try that; my SE works with a FDHD alright so that's great.

• 4 weeks later...