my latest find, mac XL

XLpica.jpg

my latest find, bought from first owner ( Belgium )

Apple Lisa XL , serial number A4282221, manufactured 4282 - 8 october 1984

a stock mac XL 1MB ram, H/88 - screen 90x60 dpi -

roms 341 0175 H in socket D13, 341 0176 H in socket D14

- disconnected the widget drive, started up in built-in service mode to test the system

- replaced the floppy drive with a repaired one

- tested with the 10MB widget drive, no boot

- unable to repair the HD

i have a replacement, a spare internal drive (non Apple) or the X/Profile

original floppys in package

Lisa Office System release 3.0 package,

floppys arranged

all floppys

original Lisa 2 mouse

azerty keyboard

as extra 2 boxes, AppleTalk M2010Z

- one box still sealed -

my apple collection

I wanted to get one of those so badly from Sun Remarketing back in the day I could TASTE IT! I was doing all my Logo/Artwork Digitizationon a Fat Mac back then. I drooled over the 12" CRT, but the budget wouldn't let me do it.

The money was a lot better spent, in production terms, later on a Quadra 630 . . . but . . . :'(

early mac's :

in 1984 there (Belgium) was a demonstration of the Lisa with a CAD application, 2D and 3D in separated modules (Radar CH - later ArchiCad)

but the combination computer, application, miniplotter wasn't affordable at all

bought in 1985 a secund hand 512k in 1987 Mac plus (text & spreadsheet), 1989 SE/30 (MiniCad & Ashlar Vellum, Ragtime, Photoshop, FileMaker)

1991 a fully loaded Quadra 700, two-page screen + high resolution RGB screen, Houston pen plotter DMP-62 A0, Archicad v3, stylewriter and laserprinter NT

now i have some Lisa 2"s and searching RadarCH .........

- the mac XL wasn't expensive -

my apple collection

Nice one! I brought my old Mac XL (I'm 99% it's a SunRem, but I haven't booted it in years....) to my apartment the other week. Still hunting around in my stuff for the original skinny button mouse, or at least a compatible one. Then I'll fire the beast up.

I understand wanting these...I did for years until I stumbled upon two at a friend's company business that's run Apple products for a long time. I got two non-booting machines from them in exchange for a Power Mac 5500 (or 5400?) I had then recently gotten from a local school's surplus. This was 2003ish. They were running OS 8 and 9 at the time, so they got a usable machine. I got one complete working system between the two, another for parts, manuals (at least one in shrinkwap), software, maybe a second keyboard? Good deal.

I like the AZERTY keyboard and LocalTalk kit. Software on original floppies are always a good find too.

the picture is only at the back of the box

it's a 'device' with the apple logo

it isn't similar to the "multiserver"

in the manual :

about device :

Any piece of equipment that can be attached to a network

- a Macintosh, Macintosh XL, LaserWriter, file server, or other accessory

Photo 1

Photo 2

my apple collection

What is that Apple badged box? I can't identify it, can anyone else? It's connected via LocalTalk, but doesn't look like any Apple product I've seen. Applefreak quoted the manual as "file server or other accessory" so I guess it falls into one of the two. Any ideas? Prototype server/NAS? That one has me wondering now.

Going by the image on the Macintosh XL, it was meant to be a file server. Notice the 3rd disk in the image is a 'Multi' something. Possible that prototype MultServer or some other device that was still at the prototype stage. I do wish we could know more on what was being tested for the Macintosh Office back in the day.