Favorite Keyboards!

. . . hands down . . . my absolute favorite of ALL TIME. 8-)

You just gotta love those clicky, feedback rich, Alps keyswitches in a classic UNIX Workstation Layout, it's just a . . . timeless . . . never goes outa' style kinda thing! IMHO, of course.

The function-keyless, page navigation-keyless, mushy "stock" POS on my SE remained unused until I got another Mac! :p

I've had many more lovely input devices since, but that first love never loses its appeal! :-*

jt =8-)

p.s. just wish I had a workin' example ATM. :'(

There's no contest here--the IBM Model M is the only keyboard worth typing on.

Agreed. I thought I was the only person who liked these keyboards enough to still have (and use) one, but have recently discovered that they have quite a following. Nice, positive tactile feedback and built like a truck.

My favorite keyboards are the Apple Extended Keyboard II, the SGI AT 101 keyboard (which has the same switches and the same feel as the Apple Extended series), and the IBM Model M. I use these on all of my daily-use machines, although I have some less impressive spares hooked up to things I only use occasionally.

Really, anything with Alps mechanical switches or a buckling-spring design would do for me. Those are just the ones I use for reasons of aesthetics or compatibility.

I was going to post that my favorite keyboard as being the EML ElectroComp 101 synth along with my Kawai K4 and Yamaha S08, but I then realized this was about computer keyboards.

If they support MIDI, then they really should count. ;)

As with many other people, I love the IBM Model M. At least in it's early incarnations. The key switches are brilliant, it is built like a tank (not a truck, you insensitive oaf), and I like the removable cable. I'm not sure why the cable should be a factor with me, but it is. I understand that there are a few better keyboards out there, but the Model M is by far the most readily available and the least expensive. I've found a few of them at thrifts for prices ranging from a buck fifty to five dollars.

If I were to be totally honest though, I'm fine with most new standalone keyboards. By new, I mean from the factory and not just of recent vintage. I think that the Model M really shines when it comes to endurance. I am a heavy keyboard users, and most keyboards just don't feel right after a few months of use. But I've had a few Model M's for a few years and they still feel great. And, since the ones that I have picked up are used, they may have endured through a couple of decades of heavy use.

Chalk another one up for the ol' Model M, but I reckon it needs some improvements in this modern era.

I would pay $100 for a Model M clone with:

-USB 2 connection, plus inbuilt hub

-Windows keys

-Volume knob/keys

-Media control keys

Nice to have:

-N-key rollover

-LEDs under the caps lock key instead of way off to the side

-Apple keycaps

-Extra F-Keys

-Hardware switch to disable Win Key

-Extra shortcut keys that can be programmed in OS X

:lol: GREAT post! Humor is the best remedy for life in general.

jt =;-D

Thank you. Don't forget to tip your waitress, but make sure she lands gently. ;)

If they support MIDI, then they really should count. ;)

That is true, but remember that the Prophet 600 was the first analog synth to have MIDI. Unfortunately, it was also had stability issues compared to other synths of the time.

Anyway, back to the topic. I have used Model-M-like keyboards and I've always liked that tactile response from them. The one I'm using right now on my PC at home is the Dell QuietKey that came with the Optiplex GX1. Nothing compared to the Model M, but definitely much better IMO compared to some of the PC keyboards out there now, including the latest versions of the QuietKey.

I have the last Apple keyboard that was made available with the iMacs before Apple switched to the brushed metal one. I can tolerate that one, but it's not that great. I've used the new one that Apple has and while it's not totally horrible, I would pick any other keyboard over this new one (especially the one without the number pad...ick!). The only one that Apple's new keyboard would win over is the Apple Design Keyboard, especially the ones that came from Mexico that felt spongy. Total garbage.

The Apple Keyboard II (short keyboard that shipped with Classics, LCs, etc) was also made in various parts of the world. The Mexican-built keyboard was again mushier than any keyboard assembled in Asian countries. I get a feeling the factory in Mexico used different parts (similar to the Taiwan vs. Malaysia vs. USA mouse discrepancies in the original ADB model).

It makes me curious as to why Apple cannot control something like this. All of the factories are owned by the same corporation; one would think the products would be the same.

The mushiest keyboards I've encountered recently shipped with HP computers a few years ago. I'm not sure if HP is still using this design (all the new HP units I've seen have been laptops) but the one at work was so mushy I had to bring in my Model M to use with the computer when I was assigned a long-term project that involved constant data entry. (It also didn't help that a few keys refused to work since someone had spilled pop in the left side of the keyboard).

• 68kMLA Supporter
Chalk another one up for the ol' Model M, but I reckon it needs some improvements in this modern era.

-Windows keys

-Volume knob/keys

-Media control keys

I'm not sure if this fits all of the bill, but take a look if you have not seen it:

http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/index.php

-Windows keys

-Volume knob/keys

-Media control keys

I specifically get my PS/2 keyboards without Windows keys because they look somewhat out of place in the absence of Windows :p

-Windows keys

-Volume knob/keys

-Media control keys

I specifically get my PS/2 keyboards without Windows keys because they look somewhat out of place in the absence of Windows :p

Well, they are used to some extent as the Super key in GNOME and KDE (and possibly in other X11 GUI environments). It's used for other functionality, although I've only seen it myself in terms of Compiz effects. I only wish I could take out the Microsoft Windows trademarked logo from those keys...

-Windows keys

-Volume knob/keys

-Media control keys

I'm not sure if this fits all of the bill, but take a look if you have not seen it:

http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/index.php

Looks like an Apple Pro Keyboard to me...

The Apple Keyboard II (short keyboard that shipped with Classics, LCs, etc) was also made in various parts of the world. The Mexican-built keyboard was again mushier than any keyboard assembled in Asian countries. I get a feeling the factory in Mexico used different parts (similar to the Taiwan vs. Malaysia vs. USA mouse discrepancies in the original ADB model).

It makes me curious as to why Apple cannot control something like this. All of the factories are owned by the same corporation; one would think the products would be the same.

Apple only made products themselves in the following factories:

- Cork, Ireland

- Singapore

- Fremont, CA

- Elk Grove, CA

- Colorado

Anything made in another location is an outsourced product. Apple has never had a Mexican factory. Most, if not all keyboard production was and is outsourced.

Each factory was likely given considerable leeway in how to manufacture the cheaper Apple keyboards (Keyboard II and Design Keyboard). Cost was probably a significant factor. Apple may have specified the appearance and electrical interface, but everything else was left up to the manufacturer.

MacAirKey

Apple Extended Keyboard II

ADB Keyboard

Apple Keyboard II

(Amstrad PC1640 keyboard)

I know everyone hates the MacAirKey's "thumbpad" pointing device, but it's my favorite. It feels like a blend of the IIGS and the Keyboard II, and in spite of its 30 ft. range it is used at a desk with a trackball.