Greetings from my Performa 6200!

So I'm currently surfing the forums on my Performa 6200 (the one I liberated last week) through the Dell. System 7.5.5, Netscape Navigator 3. Pretty cool...reminds me of when I first got online back in the mid 1990's...I was 11 - 13, and a complete Mac fanatic...and until I was 13, I had never, ever used a Mac on the Internet. It amuses me to think that I would have shat myself to even get anywhere near a setup like this back when it was new. :p

Have to say...the forums actually aren't too bad in Netscape 3...it doesn't do CSS, meaning its fast, but ugly. And I've got Java turned off, since the old old old Javascript on here was causing our friend Mr. Type 11 error to rear its ugly head!

Ah the x2xx motherboard architecture.....a classic of enginnering. 8 bit 16 bit and 32 and 64 bit buses living together with no hardware bridges.

Left 32 and Right 32.

The processor runs a 75 MHz, while the motherboard runs a 37.5 MHz.....

Then the GPU, stolen from the Quadra 630 requires a 33mhz Bus, 32 bits wide.

The Comm slot bus is 10 MHz bus, 8 bits wide.

32-bit PMMU, same as 630, runs at motherboard speed.

Processor Bus 64 bits, 37.5 MHz

Network/SCSI/audio/ADB L32, 10 MHz

Memory Controller R32, 33 MHz

Graphics Cont R32, 33 MHz

IDE/Video/TV R32, 12 MHz

And there were no hardware bridges between left and right 32. It was done right on the CPU, using this equation in ROM:

37.5 = 3/2 * 25 12.5 = 1/2 * 25 10 = 2/5 * 25 33 = 4/3 * 25

And some ROMs were bad, making them extremely nasty.

Ah the x2xx motherboard architecture.....a classic of enginnering. 8 bit 16 bit and 32 and 64 bit buses living together with no hardware bridges.

Left 32 and Right 32.

The processor runs a 75 MHz, while the motherboard runs a 37.5 MHz.....

Then the GPU, stolen from the Quadra 630 requires a 33mhz Bus, 32 bits wide.

The Comm slot bus is 10 MHz bus, 8 bits wide.

32-bit PMMU, same as 630, runs at motherboard speed.

Processor Bus 64 bits, 37.5 MHz

Network/SCSI/audio/ADB L32, 10 MHz

Memory Controller R32, 33 MHz

Graphics Cont R32, 33 MHz

IDE/Video/TV R32, 12 MHz

And there were no hardware bridges between left and right 32. It was done right on the CPU, using this equation in ROM:

37.5 = 3/2 * 25 12.5 = 1/2 * 25 10 = 2/5 * 25 33 = 4/3 * 25

It's a miracle these things even bothered to get up in the morning, isn't it. :b&w:

How? Whenever I used Netscape 4/IE 4 for anything recent, it crashed. I could never get anywhere, besides the Google homepage.

Cool, nonetheless.

The key is to turn off Javascript. I'm using Netscape 3, with Javascript turned off, and it doesn't render CSS, so its just plain text and images. So its as ugly as sin, but there's not much that can go wrong.

System7: Thankfully, mine has the "good" ROM :) Still, it makes me wonder just what the hell they were thinking when they designed the thing.

The whole 62/300 and 52/300 line up was nasty, in fairness though when I took my 5200 from 7.5.5 to 8 there was a big stability improvement and it seems slightly faster, I wonder if Apple did some tweaking in the OS for this lineup.

I think that was Netscape 3...back in the day I only ever used it on Windows systems so I have no idea what it was like on Macs. But I think a lot of it was because of its implementation of Javascript. With Javascript turned off it seems to be fine.

Netscape 3 was the first browser I used that I considered modern. It was bundled with our Power Macintosh 6500 and worked in conjunction with AOL 3.0. This was one of if not the last Macs to ship with Netscape set as the default. After that, IE was the default thanks to Microsoft's little payout.

I remember loading Nick.com and thinking it was just the coolest thing ever. They had Frames, they had Java, they had Shockwave, the whole mess took over a minute to load but it was the coolest page I ever remember. Unfortunately the Web Archive never got a good look at it.

Before that I used some no-name stuff that came with AOL 2.7. The big feature in AOL 2.7 Browser vs 2.6 was that they added Table support. Compared to AOL 2.7, Netscape added Frames, JavaScript, Plugins, Java, etc.

AOL 3.0 had a better but still poor browser (MSIE Mac v2.1 rendering engine. Still the same code base as NCSA Mosaic at this point in time). Frames were supported. I do not believe Plugins or JavaScript were present though.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Does OS 8 really improve performance/stability on a 6200/6300 series Performa? The 6200 was the first computer I owned myself, and it was my main system up until mid 2001. I only ever experienced it with 7.5.5, and later 7.6.1. So I cannot say first-hand how one would perform under OS 8, or even OS 9. The reason I ask is because I am acquiring a 6320 tomorrow, along with some other Macs. Will be interesting to see which OS runs best on it.

I don't know about you guys, but I put 8.6 on my 6200 and it was BRUTAL! I can't even begin to imagine what OS 9 would be like.

I wouldn't mind getting one of the x200/x300 machines with a bad ROM, if there are any even out there. }:) IIRC, didn't some of these also have bad 603's? I could have sworn that I read that a particular shipment of 603's from Motorola were known to be defective, and ended up in this series of machines (as if they didn't have enough problems).

I wouldn't mind getting one of the x200/x300 machines with a bad ROM.

Why?

Years ago I remember getting a disk through the post sent my Apple so I could check my 6200. It passed with flying colours whatever the problem was.

I wouldn't mind getting one of the x200/x300 machines with a bad ROM.

Why?

Years ago I remember getting a disk through the post sent my Apple so I could check my 6200. It passed with flying colours whatever the problem was.

Not really sure why. I suppose it would be kind of like owning one of the PB5300 batteries known to catch fire, like someone recently posted here. It's fun to own old, faulty products. :)

Mine lacks the sticker, and as I said, contains a "good" ROM.

Back in 2002, I was doing work experience at a local AASP, and we had a Power Mac 6200 (basically the same machine as the Performa 6200, sold through different dealers from memory) come in that needed a power supply replacement, and the owner also wanted OS 8.1 installed. The machine got given to me to work on, and I remember running the 5xxx/6xxx tester and discovering that the machine had a faulty ROM, and the OS 8 installer wouldn't work on it because of the faulty ROM from memory.

• 4 weeks later...

After suffering with a Mac Plus from 1988 to 2005 (Yes it is cute now, back as a kid growing up and seeing everything pass by me this blew chunks) I cannot remember ever being happier to see any Mac than my family's old Performa 6300CD. Yes looking back they sucked. But after years of using the Plus with a tired old 20 MB external drive, (which had lots of games I could never play, like Solarian, and other color only or 32 bit only games) the day we finally got the 6300, I hooked it up to the ol' SCSI port, and was knocked off my feet. The funny thing is my parents almost bought a 6200CD, and the day before we went off to buy it, I remember reading all the tech specs online about it, and last minute made up some fib about how we couldn't use internet unless we got the 6300 instead ( A lie I made up about the Comm Slot based on some half truth about a bug it had at the time). It worked, and I got a 100 Mhz 603e not a 75 Mhz 603. I remember playing Marathon on it, and PowerXplorer, and After Dark, and not having them SUCKKKK!!!! So much fun.....I will always love these crippled little Macs because they freed me from the dungeon of 8 Mhz obsolescence.