Years ago we hired a professional artist to draw our product's icons. He complained that 16 colours on a 32x32 grid was a rather limited medium.

Yet, oddly enough, a lot of amazing artwork was done with that limited medium. That includes both icons and games.

Avatars should be 50x50 imo (yeah i know mine's bigger). Large avatars are probably one of the most obnoxious things on the internet at the moment.

I would have listed virii, popup-windows, spam and censorship long before I got to avatar sizes....

I would have listed virii, popup-windows, spam and censorship long before I got to avatar sizes....

if virii, pop-up windows, and spam are issues for you, you're clearly doing the internet wrong. Especially if we go with the whole "You know what you're doing" thing. Avatars are only fixed by image blockers.

Censorship exists in all things, but I have yet to see censorship be an active annoyance. Has anything you've tried to say been censored here or on another site? Giant, obscene avatars are more effective than censorship programs as it removes any possibility that somebody would want to read the poster's opinion anyway.

Giant, obscene avatars are more effective than censorship programs as it removes any possibility that somebody would want to read the poster's opinion anyway.

Like wearing a T shirt that says "don't listen to me, I'm an idiot". If you banned idiocy then the modern world would grind to a halt.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally dislike avatars on forums.

Mine is the on I use on the login window.

If anything it should just be the username.

However I do prefer the avatars of the old forum.

For some reason though, we can't use them.

Censorship exists in all things, but I have yet to see censorship be an active annoyance. Has anything you've tried to say been censored here or on another site? Giant, obscene avatars are more effective than censorship programs as it removes any possibility that somebody would want to read the poster's opinion anyway.

Those topics about the eBay sellers with outrageous prices have been effectively censored.

Those topics about the eBay sellers with outrageous prices have been effectively censored.

You're right, it is a type of censorship. But, in this very small, minuscule and completely irrelevant context it is a subject I'm willing to have censored. There is no real comparison between having a genuine opinion worth hearing and, I quote, "OMG ESCHER!!1!!SHIFT1!!" That post was made with the sole intention of harassing the seller, who was indeed selling a rare prototype model Apple and while the outrageous costs some ebay sellers demand are just plain stupid, the fact that they never sell and they never learn is evidence enough that its not going to change.

If there was genuine interest in the item and contact had been made and the seller turned out to be an ass, then warning the community to not buy from them is prudent, but simply flaming them because you can is little more than a childish use of an ignorant interpretation of free speech.

... You can turn off avatars/smilies in your control panel if you so desire ...

That I know, but thank you, Tom. My (not necessarily obvious) throwaway referred to my belief that humans should not need to have their emotional states signalled by a graphic, even in prose if they take the care to write meaningfully.

de