Reconstructing Apple I BASIC from a Cassette Tape

Am I the only one here who has ever actually loaded a program from a cassette tape?

Certainly not, ZX-81, ZX Spectrum 48k and CBM-64.

The CBM-64 was the most reliable probably because it was a custom made job, even though the shape was appalling (I preferred the look of the VIC-20 tapedrive).

Also we had HP "desktop calculators" that used cassette tapes. Note, that's a huge calculator which covers the desktop and included an HP-IB bus.

Am I the only one here who has ever actually loaded a program from a cassette tape?

Definitely not. I've done it as a kid on a Commodore CBM (don't remember if it was a 8032 or 8096....probably the former) in Catholic grade school and when I had a Mattel Aquarius. I even had the chintzy thermal printer that was available for the Aquarius.

So nyah! :p

EDIT: I remember it being a CBM, but now after looking it up I really don't remember which model since they almost all look alike. :?:

I have a Realistic™ tape recorder specially designed for computer use (it's exactly the same as any other except it lacks a built-in microphone). I've used it with varying results on my Apple IIs.

Back in the day, I recall the agony of loading and saving programs on my brother's TRS-80. I think the fact that it wouldn't reliably save my colour bar demo programs was one of the reasons I spent the next 15 years avoiding computers at all costs.

... I had a Mattel Aquarius.

Holy Cannoli !! lol

Me too ! 8^ ]

My grandmother pickd it up in a type of "Surplus Store" -- where some guy buys overstock of different items & sells 'em cheap: it's called "Odd Lot"-- and gave it to me for my 6th birthday

'cause she knows I love tech stuff !

:b&w:

... I had a Mattel Aquarius.

Holy Cannoli !! lol

Me too ! 8^ ]

My grandmother pickd it up in a type of "Surplus Store" -- where some guy buys overstock of different items & sells 'em cheap: it's called "Odd Lot"-- and gave it to me for my 6th birthday

'cause she knows I love tech stuff !

:b&w:

That's exactly where my parents got it too!!!! ROFL!

I have to say as rudimentary as that system was, I did love it and wish it hadn't crapped out. If I ever find one again, I'm definitely buying it (I still have a few of the carts that go with it! LOL).

Ohyes. I can well remember doing tape loads and saves on an Australian clone of the TRS-80, among other machines.

Sure...just don't expect me to spoon. :p

So I suppose a fork's out of the question.

Nope, I started out with a Trash-80 (TRS-80) Model I Level II with all of 16k of memory, black and whiter monitor and a tape drive. Used it for about a year or so before I stepped up to an Apple II+ with 48k and a disk drive. Used an RF modulator and my portable color TV as monitor because I couldn't afford a monitor.

Dean

• 1 month later...

I once saved a program from an IBM PC 5150's ROM BASIC onto cassette, loaded it back in, then listened to the recording. This was just so I could say that I've loaded an IBM PC program from a tape.

I even had the chintzy thermal printer that was available for the Aquarius.

I once had a mint, boxed four-colour pen plotter for the Aquarius! I never used it though...