Why are newton developers such greedy pigs?

Shit, if this is true then it's no wonder the Newton never caught on.

I don't think available software was the main problem for the early Newton. In fact, I think the success of the Palm demonstrates the opposite: the Palm is much less 'computer' than the Newton is. I'd say most people use the built-in apps almost exclusively, and it gets them right. It's got a great calendar and notebook which sync properly, and it's got an input method that's not going to make you want to pull your hair out - even if you don't happen to speak English. The first Newtons weren't very good in these respects, and I think that's what doomed them.

• 1 year later...

Speaking of the waveLan driver (of which I know nothing except that it exists), what was the last version you tried? The last version available on the site is 1.08a and Mark Hoekstra (Deceased) claimed on his site (http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/669/getting-your-emate-wireless) that the latest version (1.08a)worked fine with all the functions despite being unregistered. That was in July 2006.

If a programmer ceases support of a product they should either make an unprotected full version available for distribution...their software will be made available in unprotected form.

And in fact, many do. Look at all the Abandonware that's been legally released for old Macs, for example. It just makes us sad pandas when someone forgets to or can't do this.

While we're reviving old dead threads.........

Just watch out for "Abandonware" and "legally released" in the same sentence. Yes, many programmers have done this; but many more have *NOT*. In fact, the term "abandonware" is usually used to refer specifically to software that *hasn't* been "legally released" by its author. Once it has, it becomes "freeware". (Like iCab 2.9.9. It's not 'abandoned', it's just 'free' now.) The term abandonware is generally used when referring to non-free software that is so old and forgotten that the original author either can't be found to ask for permission, or has never given specific permission, but has not made an effort to block its distribution, either.

For example, old Apple OSes are not "abandonware" because either: A. Apple makes it available for free (6.0.8, 7.5.5,) or B. They block attempts to release (the oldest Mac systems, OS 9, etc.)

• 2 months later...