RetroChallenge 2008

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except I am neither creative, nor a programmer.

Well, then there is the other option, if you have something that is retro, work on it and try to get it up and running. That is one of the things I'll be doing is checking out my old stuff, powering it on, seeing if I can get it working, box back up...

Except I am neither creative, nor a programmer.

You've obviously not seen some of the previous entries ;)

I tend to view the "challenge" as being a personal one, rather than competititive, so something like writing a "Hello World" program in BASIC would be perfectly acceptable.

Heh. Missed the RetroChallenge again. Too bad, this year it was really interesting, since I already have some personal projects going on. In no particular order:

1. I'm using a PowerBook 5300ce as my second machine, trying to prove it's still a worthy Mac nowadays. It has 64 MB RAM, 1.1 GB hard disk, Ethernet and Wireless connectivity, a soon-to-come VST ZIP drive module. On the software front, I'm doing good with browsing (iCab 2.99, Opera 5, Netscape 3 and 4), email (Mailsmith 1.1.8!), connecting with my iDisk, editing images, writing, reading PDFs and so on.

2. I'm resurrecting a PowerBook 100, and since the internal hard drive is dead, I plan to create a 4 MB RAM disk (the PowerBook 100 had the feature of persistent RAM disks) and see if I can install System 6 and a few programs.

3. I'm expanding a book database in FileMaker 2.0 on my Colour Classic to catalogue all my books. Long project I started 8 months ago, more or less.

4. I'm writing a short story on a Cambridge Z88. No way to export it when it's finished, though. :)

Cheers,

Rick

Heh. Missed the RetroChallenge again. Too bad, this year it was really interesting, since I already have some personal projects going on.

Actually, there are still entries dribbling in, so if you want to fill out an entry be my guest! There's still a good three weeks to go.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll have my celebratory drink of... something without alcohol. Dang alcohol allergy!

Some would view thta as a blessing ;-)

But seriously, sounds good though. I'm looking forward to it. BTW, who are the judges? (so I can bribe next year.. hehe kidding)

They're anonymous for a reason... mostly so you won't know that the winners and judges are one and the same ;-)

• 2 weeks later...