Unfortunately, Tiger isn't being sold anymore by Apple themselves, although you may be able to find it retail if you look at smaller shops that had a bunch in stock when Leopard was released. You'd probably also be able to buy a retail copy on eBay.

Try to avoid the gray machine-specific discs from ebay, as well as talking about the other slightly-less-legal ways of acquiring it here on the forum.

Stick Leopard on it , my G4/667 TiBook runs 10.5 beautifully. All it takes is a little Open Firmware hackery (which has virtually no chance of harming the machine I might add) and you're good to go. The G4 iBooks use Radeon graphics chips too so you won't have much in the way of graphics issues. The more I look at the specs, actually the more I think it'd be a great laptop for running Leopard on. Radeon 9200, 32MB VRAM, DDR SDRAM, 30GB of hard drive space. I'd do it.

I have a G4/800 iMac and a G4/667 TiBook both running Leopard and it's great to use. Turn off the silly menu bar, hack the dock to the low-fi version and you're set.

... Is "Tiger" a free upgrade download from Apple.Com or do I hafta buy it? ...

No reference release (upgrade) since 7.1—that is, 7.1, 7.5, 7.6, 8.0, 8.5, 9.0—has ever been either free or downloadable. Even full install CDs of Reference Release and upgrades—such as 7.1.1, 7.5.3, 7.5.5, 7.6, 7.6.1, 8.1, 8.5.1, 8.6, 9.0.4, 9.1—have had to be purchased. Despite that, Apple does now allow downloads of 7.5.3, thereby effectively making that updater into a full installer that does not need a prior installation of 7.5.

de

...i wasnt aware 7.5 runs on ibooks

And now that you have had time to reread what I wrote, your point is?

Mine was that reference releases are (with the mentioned exception of 7.5.3) neither downloadable nor free.

de

my point is that your reference to the freely downloadbale state of mac os 7.5 .3 is in ths scase useless because it doesnt run on an ibook

explain to me exactly what use downloading 7.5 or indeed the fact that its free ware is to somebody with an ibook ?

saying that no mac os X version is free to download from apple would have sufficed in this case

name checkig 7.5 is superfluous and nor neccasary it wont run on the discussed hardware if its name chedked in a thread about specific hardware some people might get the misguided idea 7.5 will run on anything

any my arent we touchy about having our knowledge being doubted ?

In short, you don't have a point.

Although you are at liberty to misinterpret what you please, as you please, when you please, you will do yourself a greater service if you do not then commit your misunderstanding to print. Look again at CaryMG's question.

de