Loaded BW G3 With OS 9.2 490mb RAM!!!!!

Lol :D :D I've said it before, but I'll say it again - you come up with such funny stuff!

What makes you think I wasn't serious? I've seen it done before...It was in the house of a friend of mine – he’s obsessed with Feng Shui! [:D]]'> [:D]

Aw come on, surely old G4s don't still command high prices, even in Britain! Or are you morally opposed to paying anything for Mac hardware? [8D] Anyway, you're right, you wouldn't want to orphan your poor G3, though I'm sure it won't be too long 'til you can find a G4 for nix. Of course you run the risk of sibling rivalry - after all, the G3 may become jealous of its bigger brother's abilites, but ah - c'est la vie. Just think how Barry Mozart and Fred Shakespeare felt! [8D]

Actually, G4's do get high prices particularly at the high end of the ladder, and especially in Britain. I've seen UK prices compared to USA prices and they are a lot more expensive over there. They paid more for them new so they don't depreciate as fast as they do here.

Aw come on, surely old G4s don't still command high prices, even in Britain! Or are you morally opposed to paying anything for Mac hardware? [8D]

Judging by a completed listings search on eBay, they start at around £40 and you can easily get some sort of G4 for under £60. Still quite a lot of cash, especially once you've added the £20 or so to that which you'd need to have something so heavy posted to you, unless you have a car and find a machine in your city. And then you'll probably need RAM, a better graphics card etc on top of that. Way too much money for me, and I do kind of think that anything is too much for a Mac unless it's going to be your main machine - it seems a waste if it's just a second or third machine for me to play around with! Especially given that I already have an OS X Mac so don't really need another one :)

Ah well, just wondering for down the track when your Leopard cravings start – you know, the “Aw, I really wish three-quarters of my 500 gig hard disk was taken up with historical backups” sort of routine.

I think you were spot on when you said that desktop OSes have reached the point where there’s little new to be added to them. So now they seem to just think of the features that will consume the most resources (in order to justify ongoing hardware sales, of course)!

Ah well, just wondering for down the track when your Leopard cravings start – you know, the “Aw, I really wish three-quarters of my 500 gig hard disk was taken up with historical backups” sort of routine.

Well I've already got Vista for these purposes ;) I've already turned off Vista's "previous versions" feature anyway (ya know, the one that Leopard ripped off and stuck a silly interface on top of :p) Hopefully Leopard will be nice and buggy like Vista is too, just to make sure that I'm really glad that I'm not running it!

So now they seem to just think of the features that will consume the most resources (in order to justify ongoing hardware sales, of course)!

That would be Apple's thinking, yes - I can't see that MS could care less whether you buy a new PC or not, as long as you run the newest version of Windows. In fact, I think they make a lot more money on the sale of a retail Windows licence to someone upgrading an old PC to Vista than they do on the OEM licences that are included with new PCs. Possibly they just feel that they have to follow Apple in introducing this stuff, and also that they might as well exploit the graphics capabilities of modern PCs. Though now it seems as though Apple is following MS, as the transparent menu bar is just so Vista.

But then again I guess if you're G3's running well enough it shouldn't be a worry -

Oh dear me, that is disgraceful. That I could have made such an obvious grammatical error is horrifying. I must have been having a blond moment this morning. I will now kill myself.

"Avec mon tout dernier souffle je défendrai la pureté de la langue Française!" - François de Malherbe

But then again I guess if you're G3's running well enough it shouldn't be a worry -

Oh dear me, that is disgraceful. That I could have made such an obvious grammatical error is horrifying. I must have been having a blond moment this morning. I will now kill myself.

"Avec mon tout dernier souffle je défendrai la pureté de la langue Française!" - François de Malherbe

Nooooo! Don't kill yourself! you have so much to live for! :'([:D]]'>
The upgrades that are available for the G4 machines are also better and the G3 is being dropped in Leopard. No advantages, indeed. :p
That Makes me kinda glad to own my Powermac G4/500! By the way, were G4 macs released in 1999 or 2000?

The 400 MHz Yikes! was released in August 1999, according to MacTracker. Wow, that actually makes them really old when you think about it! In my mind a G3 is a "modern" Mac, while a G4 is like brand new and cutting edge! Any PC from that era has been a giveaway for years now, whereas G4s still seem to cost about £50 >:(

just shows how amazingly great a G4 still is...Those G3's, ehhh. I am getting an iBook g3 for my birthday though :)

No it just shows how expensive Macs are in the UK compared to other places. Just for fun I did a search of buy it now PCs and buy it now Macs for 50 pounds or less on ebay.co.uk a few weeks ago and came up with plenty of PCs on the trailing edge of usable but couldn't find anything newer than a 601-604 based Mac. That's with monitor, by the way.

I remember seeing several of those graphite G4 towers at Fox Studios in Sydney in 2000 and thinking what amazingly powerful machines they must have been to be able to generate special effects for the movies.

Same machine I now have sitting idly in my room, used as an occasional backup to my Mini for sound recording, and nothing much else!

I suppose those octo-core Mac Pros will be propping up wobbly tables in another 7 years' time.

just shows how amazingly great a G4 still is...Those G3's, ehhh. I am getting an iBook g3 for my birthday though :)

No it just shows how expensive Macs are in the UK compared to other places. Just for fun I did a search of buy it now PCs and buy it now Macs for 50 pounds or less on ebay.co.uk a few weeks ago and came up with plenty of PCs on the trailing edge of usable but couldn't find anything newer than a 601-604 based Mac. That's with monitor, by the way.

Anything G3 or older is easy enough to find in the UK for free, especially pre-G3 as no-one wants OS9 these days. Of course used Macs that still have some value ie G4+ will be slightly more expensive over here though, given that they cost a lot more new and the new machines now also cost a lot more than they do elsewhere.

Yes, the G4s would have been amazing in 1999 compared with the Pentium II and III/Windows 98 systems that they were competing against, but I still think a free G3 is infinitely better than a £50 plus shipping G4 - G3s are so awesome that the extra £50 (£70 with shipping) just isn't worth it, at least not to me.

Nooooo! Don't kill yourself! you have so much to live for! :'([:D]]'>

Ne’er were truer words spoken, sir. Anyway, it was only English that I desecrated. Had I disgraced the Language of Love then, true Frenchman that I am, I should have had to fight a duel with myself to satisfy honour.