I will try to install the Vonets in my SE/30 now. As far as I understand the Vonets is able to connect to modern highspeed WIFI routers via wireless, but I have understood that the old Asante Ethernet card in the E/30 is not able to connect to the modern fast WIFI routers via cable, but requires an older slower router too work - correct me if I am wrong.

Since I only have my modern WIFI modem and I have installed the Asante WIFI card in the SE/30 (but not tested/connected it to a router via cable yet); what would be my best option to make this whole work: 1. install the Vonets and test the whole system "in one go" OR 2. first buy an older slow-speed modem, try to get the SE/30 to see my router via cable and then finally install and test the Vonets with my high-speed WIFI router?

Thanks.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ants Just a small report from me so far:-): I got it working as a WIFI bridge on my OSX iMac. It is really very simple: I used an antistatic wristband to be sure, just mount one of the the antennas to the board and plug in the wires, then plug Ethernet and usb cables from the VM300 into the computer. Type 192.168.254.254 in the webbrowser addressfield, then log in with user: admin and pwd: admin. Choose your WIFI network from the Hotspots pane, then "next", type password. Here I unchecked the "Hotspot" option, click Apply. Now, do not - important: do not - press the "reboot"  button on this page (as you are asked to do), there must be a bug here because if you do the VM300 will freeze and you must do a Factory reset to obtain contact again. Instead click on System Settings pane on the left and reboot/reset from this page (at least this is what solved it for me). You can see if the VM300 reboots by it lightning green for a moment. If VM300 freezes use this to restore: http://www.vonets.com/serviceView.asp?D_ID=213

It seems that the VM300 bought recently had the latest firmware and the pane "LAN Setting-Ethernet port" had the pull down menu list with half duplex option. I will try getting my SE/30 on the network tonight. (Written via VM300 WIFI bridge :-)).

Edited by razo
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was able to source a few AUI-twisted pair transceiver ICs and ordered a batch of test boards to build my own transceiver board to include a mPCIe slot for the VM300 to drop right in:

OBZf8WC.png

DPlJgJ5.png

If it works this will come along with the MacCon clones I am going to build for the SE/30.

As can be seen the breakout board also features a DB15 port that you can connect to whatever graphics card you might have in the SE/30 using jumper wires.

Two mounting holes for antennas are also there.

27 minutes ago, Bolle said:

I was able to source a few AUI-twisted pair transceiver ICs and ordered a batch of test boards to build my own transceiver board to include a mPCIe slot for the VM300 to drop right in:

OBZf8WC.png

DPlJgJ5.png

If it works this will come along with the MacCon clones I am going to build for the SE/30.

As can be seen the breakout board also features a DB15 port that you can connect to whatever graphics card you might have in the SE/30 using jumper wires.

Two mounting holes for antennas are also there.

This is, perhaps, one of the most exciting news of 2020!

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, nickpunt said:

Fantastic @Bolle! Many/most of us run SCSI2SD, wondering if there's a way to make room for a SD card or USB header so we don't have to open the case to swap data? 

I use this microSD extender and actually thought it would be neat to thread it through the security lock slot (which you have to do from the outside) to minimize slack or pinch points. Just make sure you remember to disconnect it from the SCSI2SD before you rip the bucket off!

https://www.amazon.com/LANMU-Extension-Flexible-Monoprice-Raspberry/dp/B01D9JIUU0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=micro+sd+extender&qid=1581536701&sr=8-2

I'm not back in town until next week. I'll attach a pic. Aside from the 'stub' that the card plugs into, everything else is inside the case - but yeah, maybe a spring-loaded slot next to the brightness knob or programmer switch.

I use the same extender, it's a great and easy solution.  I threaded it through the security slot and use a velcro dot to stick the "stub" card reader thing to the rear of my SE/30 case.  It is slightly annoying when you open the case, though ... that ribbon cable isn't super long.

• 1 month later...

And here we go, Vonets module from China finally arrived.

The mPCIe port on the module is messed up though, notice how in the socket the upper contacts are shifted to the right compared to the lower contacts?

349805369_IMG_24472.thumb.jpg.8a231c18054f8b46471992efadcd75e2.jpg

The VM300 however has the contacts exactly lined up on top and bottom so it will create short circuits when inserted into the mPCIe slot.

Luckily all the signals we need are present on the bottom row of contacts. So to use this you will have to tape over the top row with some capton tape to insulate it.

IMG_2453.thumb.jpg.3be6d4d308a2cb4bcdc1d24aea2f45b0.jpg

IMG_2454.thumb.jpg.08406248320e213565fa3a460bfb2c84.jpg

I had to use 12V instead of 5V to power the VM300, so it seems I will have to go for another run of PCBs.

At 5V the module itself would work and connect to my Wifi but the LAN connection to the SE/30 would not come up.

After a lot of fiddling this is the result:

IMG_2455.thumb.jpg.857bb6a19e295f3e26143e16a255e97b.jpg

IMG_2457.thumb.jpg.17b744bd3ce5017dc5c1625962021f14.jpg

41 minutes ago, maceffects said:

@Bolle this looks amazing!  If you do happen to sell the board with the WiFi please let me know. I’m ready to pay you a pile of cash:) 

Count me in too. Such wonderful work, as always.

1 minute ago, LaPorta said:

Is this an all-in-one plug and play wireless solution if you already have the Asante card?

I believe it serves as a replacement for the ethernet daughterboard - you can see the 16 pin connector that leads to the Maccon main board.

31 minutes ago, Michael_b said:

I believe it serves as a replacement for the ethernet daughterboard - you can see the 16 pin connector that leads to the Maccon main board.

Exactly what I was hoping. I have the Maccon.

2 hours ago, kreats said:

any ability to disable the wifi card if you need to save power to debug or use the wired connection (if the jacks are installed)?

I planned it to be usable that way but I could not get mPCIe connectors that were tall enough to clear the output transformer needed for wired ethernet that's sitting underneath the VM300.

So for now it's only either wired or wireless. Only way to disable the VM300 is to either unplug the module or the transceiver board altogether.

The VM300 is operating off the 12V rail which is usually never a problem in the SE/30 when it comes to power issues.

Edited by Bolle
  • 2 months later...