How about this: old hard drive sounds emulator?

Moon Roof Zombie Drive in a clear SE/30 case would be the point of the exercise for when the real deal dies.

IMG_6816.jpg

SCSI or IDE interface of the donor mechanism shouldn't matter at that point. SEEING is believing, synths won't cut it for me. When the HDD is bolted up, "bone conduction" occurs and the chassis acts as the "speaker."

What's the voltage on the LED activity circuit?

1 hour ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

What's the voltage on the LED activity circuit?

Should be real low, 1.5-2.5v or so. Not enough to directly drive a voice coil, if that's what you're thinking. Just enough to use as a trigger for an Arduino or something.

One of the potential problems with mounting a skeleton drive in an SE or SE/30 is that the drive is usually upside-down in the original bracket; you'll need an aftermarket/custom bracket if you want it rightside-up. I have a cool old Fuji Electric 40MB hard drive that uses a stepper. It has an external wheel mounted to the stepper shaft that rotates during seeks, with notches around the perimeter including a mark to indicate if the heads are parked before power-down. Super cool but not really useful in upside-down fashion since the wheel is to the inside of the case and partially obscured by the mount in a stock configuration.

22 minutes ago, Franklinstein said:

Should be real low, 1.5-2.5v or so. Not enough to directly drive a voice coil, if that's what you're thinking. Just enough to use as a trigger for an Arduino or something.

Not thinking about sounds so much as triggering a relay for a higher voltage, analog LED chase light circuit. [}:)]

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's a pic of @maceffects one off(?) Fireball lid. SLA I think and he was considering a run of them in the SLA process. I'm still interested.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:20 AM, Franklinstein said:

One of the potential problems with mounting a skeleton drive in an SE or SE/30 is that the drive is usually upside-down in the original bracket; you'll need an aftermarket/custom bracket if you want it rightside-up.

Exactly, I've been thinking clear mounting bracket for FDD and upright HDD. One day I'll get around to fabbing a clear plexi proto-chassis compleat, but that's a far way off.