Dual Boot SSW 6 and 7 on same drive but different partitions?

I know it's possible to do so.

I'd like to dual boot 6.0.8 and 7.0.1 on my SE/30. Maybe even 7.5.5.

I've done so on my Quadra 700, however I was having some troubles. This was done on an SCSI2SD and will be done on one in the SE/30 also.

On my Quadra, I made two partitions, each 500 MB. I installed 7.0.1 on one and 7.6.1 on the other. One was named 7.0.1 and the other... 7.6.1. Now, I restart the machine (Was installed by CD). It boots to 7.0.1. Cool, that works. Now I play around a little, and then switch the startup disk to 7.6.1. But wait, both disks are highlighted in startup disk? I ignored this and selected 7.6.1. Restart. Boots to 7.0.1... again.

I'm going to guess the same issue will happen on my SE/30. First of all, is this even possible? I would assume it is... but secondly, what did I do wrong?

Easier? All you need to do is install the system picker CDEV, (easy to find and use), then copy 7.6.1 to the 7.0.1 partition renaming it system 7.6 so it has a different name then drag and drop. Make sure you pick a SSW in system picker, and you are good to go!

Well easier as in I've got the partitions ready.

I'll try it out if nobody replies! So that's it?

This is what I think your supposed to do

Initialize as one partition

Install 7.0.1

Rename 7.0.1 folder to xxx

Clean install 7.5.5

Rename to xxx (optional)

Install sys picker?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necropost. Was there ever a utility to prevent System 7 from automatically rebuilding the desktop every time you switch to it from System 6? I seem to recall hearing about this but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

7 hours ago, werdna said:

Was there ever a utility to prevent System 7 from automatically rebuilding the desktop every time you switch to it from System 6?

Yes there was!

7 hours ago, werdna said:

...I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Neither can I. A vague memory says something about Desktop Manager?? That might be it, actually, but can't remember.

c

Yes, you guys are thinking of the Desktop Manager, which was part of AppleShare Server for System 6. It was quasi-experimental at the time, and introduced the split Desktop DB/DF files that were later a part of System 7.0 in 1991.

Some threads about it:

https://macgui.com/usenet/?group=14&id=48013

https://macgui.com/usenet/?group=14&id=47729

https://macgui.com/usenet/?group=14&id=14819

Edited by Dog Cow