Last weekend I went on a mission to Phoenix. I was notified of an MS20 on eBay, which was for a good deal. I was originally going to go last weekend, but literally while I was heading south on 17, someone from California outbid only to renege when they discovered shipping was going to be $120.

So today I finally brought it in, moved it and the 840, and hooked them up.

C8DbD1aVsAAoo5R.jpg-large.jpeg

It's very beautiful. I had to reset it using the two buttons on the front left corner and it's obviously not LCD tack sharp, but it looks good. I'm hoping it improves a little bit as it warms up -- it's cold up here in Northern Arizona and it's been in my van since Sunday.

I'm still planning on seeing if I can head out to grab a few more displays over the summer, and I don't yet know ultimately what equipment will end up where. For the time being, I think the 6100 is going to take the 840's place in my bedroom, with the MCD14.

Nice one - a tower Mac really looks powerful and ready for work with one of these beasts alongside them :)

I'm on the CRT collecting phase as well, having recently picked up 1710AV monitor, 12" Monochrome and (soon) an SGI 21" CRT to connect to an Octane.  The 1710AV is a strange beast, I believe it needs drivers installed to work properly with certain machines, at least it works as most don't.

It is truly odd how different the 840 feels with such a huge display, especially a 20-inch CRT, connected. Previously my biggest displays have been 14-inchers, except for a brief stint I had with a Multiple Scan 15, which doesn't sit any higher than an AudioVision 14. The proportions and overall look are very different.

The whole thing would change again if I moved the mini and MBP and switched to an AEK and let the 840's set up spread out a bit.

That's correct about the 1710, and any "AppleVision" display, and the beige ColorSync displays. They needed to be connected to a system by ADB and to have the drivers loaded up. It's a bit of a shame because a 1710AV, 750AV or 850AV would make an amazing monitor for something modern you wanted to play music or video on.

I once brought in my 8600/300 to a place I volunteered at because they had a monster 23" Sony.  Weighed about 10 tonnes.  I swear, computers get faster the bigger the screen gets. ;)  I was so used to using my computer on a 15" 800x600 display.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Smallest we had on the family computer growing up was 14", and that was only for a short period of time before we went to a 17" that would do up to 1280x1024 @ 60Hz, which seemed massive back then.  Now I use triple 24s in the office and my personal laptops are all 17.3s (apart from classic machines) and any time I have to use anything below 20" it just feels so tiny.  On the flip side, if I use any of my iBooks (all 12") for a good bit of time and then go back to my regular 17.3" laptop it just feels huuuge by comparison.

CRTs are a lot larger physically than their LCD counterparts though, so if you were going all Jurassic Park back in the day with several large monitors at a desk you had to have a massive, well-built desk to handle all that weight  These days I feel like some of the desks I've seen in offices would start buckling if they had to deal with CRT weights.  Would the modern equivalent of having a 20" CRT be something like an ultra widescreen 34" curved monitor?

So sweet, congrats. There's nothing that compares the big@$$ Trinitron of the rainbow era experience. What VidCard do you have or are looking for to drive that monster full bore at 24bit? Enjoy, next you need the Portrait to sit next to it to hide the Dell. ;)

I've finally weened myself off collecting monstrous CRTs, even passing the 21" Sun display on to a local comrade. My first experience with a real monitor (9" periscopes don't count) on a Mac was a 19" PanaPro TPD (B&W) and then went 20" and 21" in succession on Radius Trinitrons. I finally topped out at a 22" Dell a few years ago.

I've gone all Jurassic Park on my worksurfaces since Y2K. I thought 1600x1200 on the 20" Dell LCD (largest image diagonal so far) would ween me off multiple screens, but that lasted less than two years. I I'm back up to two (matched styling 19" UltraSync) and thinking of setting the NetBook up for spanning on the other side of the KVM'd 20 incher. Once you've gone JPark you never go back. :-/

My roommate carried it in for me.

As of right now, I'm not using a NuBus video card to drive it. It's running at 1152x870@75, 256 colors, which is basically fine for what I'm doing on the machine. I may switch to 1024x1024 at some point, it's slightly sharper at that resolution.

I'd like to upgrade the 840's VRAM allocation, but perhaps more likely is that this monitor will move to the 7300, beige G3, or if I get anything else exciting, there.