Macintosh SE Fan Mod - 2016

Hi

I'm going to add a SCSI2SD to a M5010 SE ( that's the one without the HD and the two floppy drives). So the only noisy thing in there apart from the FDDs is the fan, which is QUITE LOUD. 

This SE was manufactured in 1987, making it one of the very early ones. It originally had the squirrel cage fan, but apparently this one was removed and replaced by a more common axial one when the Mac was serviced on the 8th of August 1991 (the guy left a sticker on the bottom).

So it's not original anymore, and that means I can tinker with it  }:)

I was thinking about adding one of these:

acoustifan3.jpg

The AcoustiFan Dustproof Series: it's supposed to be very quiet, about 15dB when running at full speed.

This thing moves roughly 13 CPM. I know, not that much but it will fit nicely as this is a 60mm fan, like the one used on the SE. Now, I don't know how much CFM the original axial fan outputs, but I think this one is similar. I want to keep the same proportions as I don't want to hack the casing.

It comes with 4 wires using a 3-Speed Fan Cable. The original SE fan only had 2 wires, positive and negative. What do you think will happen if I leave the two other wires disconnected? The fan will run @12V if the "tacho" is disconnected, right?

And is it possible to add that thermostat? (n00b question)

The PWM (4th one) isn't a necessity, right?

Oh and if you know of a 60mm fan that is better and quieter, let me know. I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Sometimes I do get tinnitus, but that fan is bothering me. It's not right. I actually have two options: either get a new quieter fan, or go old school and get a squirrel cage one... The one in my SE/30 needs lubricant ! It is appalling. But I don't want to replace that one. Keepin' things original.

---

After doing some more research, I found the original fan's specifications. The Sanyo 109P0612M402 moves 12 CFM according to this site.

So the AcoustiFan is one better.  ;) At least it will be quiet!

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 60 mm - 2000 rpm may be a better product (16CFM, 12dB), but it's green. It won't look good. Why can't they make a black one!

Edited by BadGoldEagle

I did that Noctua in my SE/30, as well. It's this one. It's a pretty penny, but it works well. As a bonus, it comes with a variety of cables that allows you to mount it without soldering by powering it through a hard drive pass-though, if that's your thing (though I would recommend soldering it in place). I can heartily recommend it. It's not quite silent, but it is darn quiet.

Thanks guys for all the info. Could you please take a pic of the back of your SE-SE/30 with the fan mounted? That would be great!

The Noctura looks like it's covered in chocolate and cream. Yummy. But, again, I don't want the fan to interfere with the design too much... 

Noctura manufactures grey ones as well, but these only go down to 80mms.

Now, about that wiring, what should I do? I'm quite a newbie when it comes to modding computers.

How and where do you install that LNA adapter? I see you can get the Noctura fan with only 2 wires, which will make this one run @12V constantly (no tacho), but is it recommended? 

Sometimes I do get tinnitus, but that fan is bothering me. It's not right. I actually have two options: either get a new quieter fan, or go old school and get a squirrel cage one... The one in my SE/30 needs lubricant ! It is appalling. But I don't want to replace that one. Keepin' things original.

---

After doing some more research, I found the original fan's specifications. The Sanyo 109P0612M402 moves 12 CFM according to this site.

So the AcoustiFan is one better.  ;) At least it will be quiet!

The Nanoxia Deep Silence 60 mm - 2000 rpm may be a better product (16CFM, 12dB), but it's green. It won't look good. Why can't they make a black one!

Well, if the bearings are bad and its making a ton of noise thats a different story. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter
On 8/19/2016 at 10:03 PM, omidimo said:

The airflow of the Noctua w/ the LNA adapter is near perfect balance: 2400rpm, 23.5cfm all at a nice low 14.5dB. I have not soldered anything since I am still working on the restoration project.

Re: bracket, industrial velcro is an awesome thing! 

Stumbled on this thread after it was linked by @JDW today and just wanted to correct the record - the fan you linked with the LNA @omidimo, per that linked page, doesn’t run at 23.5 CFM (cubic feet per minute) but rather m3/h (cubic meters per hour) which is only 13.8 CFM. Without the LNA it runs at a speedier 17.2 CFM. 

Here’s a converter http://www.endmemo.com/sconvert/m3_hft3_min.php

I wanted to also add that I bought the mold for a clear SE & SE/30 fan and have a limited amount and they have green LEDs.  My fans run at 24 CFM, though they aren't "quiet" fans they are similar to OEM.  If anyone needs one please PM me.  I hate to see flyback transformers overheat and die.