Thanks again! I’ve already printed the lid, and the main case is about 5% in. This is really well designed and it’s coming out very well! (We have noticed that the printer is slightly wonky, though, but we’ll fix that afterwards because it’s not entirely noticeable and the lid won’t fit if we change it now!

image.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, aladds said:

Thanks again! I’ve already printed the lid, and the main case is about 5% in. This is really well designed and it’s coming out very well! (We have noticed that the printer is slightly wonky, though, but we’ll fix that afterwards because it’s not entirely noticeable and the lid won’t fit if we change it now!

that's amazing!! I still haven't figured out a solution to keep the lid on if you stand it vertically, mine are spray painted since I had blue/black/red filament, but I also have this little stand (with feets!) that can help too. I thought about hot gluing magnets inside but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm really excited to see someone else working on it!!

FEETS.stl

4 hours ago, aladds said:

Still got to print the little bits, plus I now see what you mean about the lid. I would imagine the feet’s will hold it all together, though?

they should hold it together! It’s not the most snug fit but it worked when I printed them! That looks awesome! I am glad to see the mounting holes worked! I didn’t have a chance to reprint after adding them (i drilled mine)

C5B9466D-63F2-4FFF-B928-795E798B43A4.jpeg

I found a little LED which fits in the corner hole, still need to pop a little hot glue to hold the wires neatly but otherwise it’s good.

I do still want to make a little door for the MicroSD card, and fit/wire up some buttons

94DF6668-65C4-49A2-91FE-74775FABFE81.jpeg

That is awesome! I'm so happy to see it all in white! The feet look so much better matched like that. The SD door is a great addition to the project! I will have to print one myself, but it will be red until its warm enough out to paint!! Thank you for sharing the STL file!

I have started to create a 3.5" "AppleColour High Reoslution RGB Monitor" - I've even found a 640x480 HDMI LCD module to go inside - although sadly that'll take weeks to get here on the slow boat from AliExpress.

I'm even planning on giving it speakers so I can use it as a mini alarm clock.

As an aside, I have noticed that a bare-metal Amiga emulator seems to exist which runs on the Raspberry Pi without Linux. Now as some people know, some Amiga emulators can emulate a 68k Mac.....

image.png.e79d03edd471f8dbeabeb13923a11d32.pngimage.png.54c1fc42312d733e45a30cadca2d976d.png

• 68kMLA Supporter

That's fun! That would be quite the site sitting on top of a II-series though :lol: 

5 hours ago, aladds said:

the side vents/speaker grilles might not come out that well...

It looks like there's some extraneous geometry (faces) that are blocking the vents... I can sorta see it in Cura's preview, but once sliced, it's solid :/ 
image.png.1f2826706989935b08b85e1d48d6bd99.png

Lovely! Totally agree with @markyb86 on the awesomeness comment.

3dot5-inch-Portrait-on-IIsi-or-jaunty-angle-LC475.thumb.JPG.384475858c6d1324c8c099e4851c4633.JPG

If I squint my eyes just rso, it looks like the Macintosh Portrait Display sitting on a IIsi or placed at a jaunty angle atop an LC475? :lisa2:

edit: thinking about those machines (and eeeks! from @Danamania on seeing a Quadra 605/Portrait combo) I realized a thing or two might work out a tad better. They'd be much easier to do with the Portrait Display acting as the lid of the case. The setback and height of the joint becomes an intentional mimic of real world spacing.

The same might be true for your Q700/IIci form factor case if substituting the 13" RGB as an inset lid? Fitted 12" RGB for the LC series also becomes an interesting possibility?

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Here's the real reason I popped back into the thread again:

KillyKlip-and-Such-00.JPG.3692043b7a18896f46d09ad9a685a6e3.JPG

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1333056

With a bit of tweaking we've got the model for a home build KillyKlip or the like. Extend the sections between contacts so they become dams between the legs of the 68000 to prevent shorts and we're good to go. :huh:

17 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Lovely! Totally agree with @markyb86 on the awesomeness comment.

3dot5-inch-Portrait-on-IIsi-or-jaunty-angle-LC475.thumb.JPG.384475858c6d1324c8c099e4851c4633.JPG

If I squint my eyes just rso, it looks like the Macintosh Portrait Display sitting on a IIsi or placed at a jaunty angle atop an LC475? :lisa2:

edit: thinking about those machines (and eeeks! from @Danamania on seeing a Quadra 605/Portrait combo) I realized a thing or two might work out a tad better. They'd be much easier to do with the Portrait Display acting as the lid of the case. The setback and height of the joint becomes an intentional mimic of real world spacing.

The same might be true for your Q700/IIci form factor case if substituting the 13" RGB as an inset lid? Fitted 12" RGB for the LC series also becomes an interesting possibility?

Like this?

(Plus it looks way better with something inside it, even if it is just a phone sock in this case!)

Edit: I'm uploading everything to github for now, too. It has an embedded STL viewer as well! https://github.com/aladds/3D-Apple-Objects-STL

8052EEC0-444C-44C6-8BE4-3823F6EC514A.jpg

Edited by aladds

Exactly, very very nice. The Portrait is the same width as IIcx, IIsi, LC, Quadra 605 and DuoDock form factors as are the LC displays. You've already done most everything that would be needed for tweaking it into a Portrait model!

The DuoDock's two color scheme may or may not be a complication, likely not. However if  either a closed door model or an inserted Duo model section is implemented as drawer/media access bay it might be a very nice project for someone.

The modeling I've suggested may be a bit far out in terms of curved surfaces and such, but could be awssome.

I can take off dimensions and do detailed pics from every angle of any of the combinations I've suggested if someone wants to give one or two of them a shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Would anyone here happen to have or know where to get the tray loading CD-ROM bezel for the Macintosh Quadra 800/Power Macintosh 8100? I am currently working on restoring a Macintosh Quadra 800, and the plastics are in good shape, and haven't yellowed much. Thanks for your help!

• 68kMLA Supporter
21 hours ago, PMac5200_Guy said:

Hello all,

Would anyone here happen to have or know where to get the tray loading CD-ROM bezel for the Macintosh Quadra 800/Power Macintosh 8100? I am currently working on restoring a Macintosh Quadra 800, and the plastics are in good shape, and haven't yellowed much. Thanks for your help!

Right thread! Here's the buried reply with the STLs for that: and it looks like the 815-1690 is the tray-load bezel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Given the Quadra 950, and Q800/Outrigger cases got new bezels designed, I'm hoping someone could make some for the pizzabox 610/660AV/6100 cases? I've got a 6100 with a missing bezel entirely, and I've dropped the blank from my 610 from my desk, shattering it. Given the extreme fragility of these cases, I can't be the only one in need. Blanks and CD-ROM bezels would be really cool :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I went to replace the aging spinner in my icebook and discovered after getting it open that it would really be a lot better with a sled... so I made one :tongue:

It's intended for these CF-IDE 44-pin adapters, but your mileage may vary:

SyNeHaam.jpg

Here's my process. I started with getting the basic shape correct with a rough (max dimension) version of the adapter and built a simple sled around it based on the dimensions of a spinning IDE drive. Also though over adequate mounting solutions and opted for melt-riveting (these posts weren't the final ones, I was just checking spacing):
HDsiT91l.png

tTNy3sZl.png

But, in my haste I mirrored the offset required for the adapter, however the elevation seemed to be just right:
Ha3N1tTl.jpg

Some quick alterations and we were ready to try again:
w6DM85Sl.png

I also bolstered the sled where I could as I also forgot, in my haste, that 4-5 layers is <2mm of thickness...

Like a glove! kept the mounting brackets from the original HDD:
YqksgVYl.jpg

There's ~1-2mm of tolerance between that bollard looking piece of plastic and the end of the CF card. As long as it doesn't disconnect from the adapter pins, it won't fall out... no need for other fancy slots or anything.

HPSdIXEl.jpg

heated my iron to 200 C and gently melted the posts. I suppose I could make them a bit beefier, but it wasn't moving by shaking it.

CF-IDE-2-5-sled-v2.stl