Bone Stock, Mac Pro 1,1 7300gt, 14gig ram Lion, (Firefox Last good browser)

I found that firefox is like the last browser i can reliably use with this machine.

its my work computer, its just fine with lion on it.

Just Chrome and Safari are no longer any good.

Thank goodness for fire fox…   Man i haven't used firefox in Years...

but it working good for me… so i guess that is all i care about.

There are actually hacks I've seen that can let you upgrade the 2006 Mac Pro to 10.9, at the very least. This answer was all I could find about it, but the information is out there. I don't know if you can upgrade past that, but Chrome, at least, does support 10.9. That ol' girl probably still has a few years in her left.

Edited by Reasons.

Well its got (2) dual core xeon processors running at 2.66ghz each  and 14 gigs of ECC ram...  a 7200rpm 8m cache hard drive...  i just dont think this needs to be upgraded... or what i mean is that i am time for an upgrade. As it works lightning fast... this retard mentality of upgrading your crap every month... really gets me going...

i guess worse case dump this os and install linux.... that sounds like a half good idea...

Edited by uniserver

the funny thing is chrome worked fine.

then its like the last release they made the screen go all jittery on me... its like a freakin seizure.

so as far as i am concerned google broke it on purpose.

safari just has issues in paypal and other online forms etc...

The current versions of Windows and Linux run perfectly well on almost all decade-old hardware. 

Specs and performance aren't the reasons Apple left these systems behind. My guess is that it's because of the transitionary nature, and the development effort involved in maintaining for both 32- and 64- bit EFI. Of the systems with that type of hardware, an extreme minority were the type that are going to run current Mac OS X releases very well. That's to say -- Mac Pros are fast enough. MacBook Pros, iMacs, and Minis from 2006 really aren't.

It can be hackintoshed as well.

But, this hardware is also so old that it's easily outperformed by even slightly older quad-core laptops and probably things like the 2011 quad-core Mac mini (which itself is really not as much faster than the 2014 dual-core Mac minis as people would have you believe, which are themselves now a generation behind the current MacBook Air.)

A Mac Pro 1,1 would make a great Windows/Linux box if you happened to have one, but I would probably not recommend someone go buy one, if only because the firmware will make Linux and Windows harder to do than is strictly necessary.

I have two of these.  One of them I bought for $1200 back when that was a good deal.  The other I picked up on Craigslist a few years ago for $100 as a parts machine in case my main one had issues.  Neither has had an issue and they still run everything I ask them to.  I would hope that my MBP Retina will process videos faster than those machines (I would assume it would), but since I don't use them for that, they all seem pretty much the same - not bad for 10 year old hardware.

One is running 10.9 the other 10.10, using the EFI hack (I've been too busy to upgrade to 10.11).  They both use a cheap windows graphic card ($34 on Amazon) an SSD for the boot disk, and still can run multiple VM's, including MS Flight Simulator).  I recently got a pretty good deal on a MP 1,2 (2008) with a decent Mac Video card and 32GB memory, so I will probably make that my new desktop before too long and then pack away the Mac Pro 1,1's.  They have been great workhorses for a lot of years and their expandability makes them better, more adaptable and a better value than any of the recent Macs.

Edited by Juror22

But, this hardware is also so old that it's easily outperformed by even slightly older quad-core laptops

So far as I can easily determine the first Intel Quad-Core for mobile applications was the QX9300, which debuted in late 2008, around eight months after the Mac Pro 1,1 (and only very slightly revised 2,1) were replaced by the 3,1. So... what slightly older-than-a-Mac Pro1,1 quad-core laptops exist, let alone outperform one?

I don't see why Mozilla is dropping 10.8. It's very similar to 10.9, so it should be trivial to maintain support for it at least awhile longer (It's probably because Apple no longer supports it, but what about Windows XP? MS dropped that two years ago, and all indications are that Mozilla will continue to support it indefinitely).

Oh, well. I'll just keep chugging along with my 3,1 until it dies. Although, if I ever come across a good deal on a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro, I won't be turning it down :)

c

Charles - my Mac Pro 1,1 is running Mavericks perfectly. You have to install it with a bootloader-type setup (I used SFOTT) but it works great and it's not difficult to do at all. SFOTT creates the install disc (or thumbdrive) for you once you set it up for your machine. Has detailed instructions too. 

The only downside is that you'll need to upgrade your video card for Mavericks. There are no drivers for the 7300 in 10.9, so your card will behave VERY poorly. Any GeForce card made after 2011 should work out of the box with Lion or later. I got a nice GTX 570 1.25gb card off a guy on craigslist for about $40 and it works fine. 

I've read about people running Yosemite and El Cap on the 1,1 too, but with varying degrees of success. Besides, Yosemite was such a turd, who'd want to try? ;)

It would be best not to discuss the actual process of building a hackintosh in anything other than the most broad and generic of terms, and also not to share the specific software, here.

So... what slightly older-than-a-Mac Pro1,1 quad-core laptops exist, let alone outperform one?

My apologies for the confusion. I meant "slightly older" as in "a laptop from 2011." I was pretty much thinking of mobile Sandy Bridge and newer parts when I wrote that. 

I'm sorry, this is the "hacks & development" forum. People interpret that as "you're free to talk about hacks & development here." Maybe you should rename the forum the "non-specific hacks & development forum."

Aside from that, "building a hackintosh" is not the same as loading an OS onto an "unsupported" computer. We're talking about using an existing Mac to run software that it technically can run, but isn't officially supported.