Mac 12" RGB Monitor 640x480 hack

Oh thank you, your a savior! 

You get a cookie of the day. lol

Once I get my 12" RGB monitor rebuilt, I am going to do this mod eventually. I have a 12" RGB that came from uniserver that had a vertical issue I did a youtube video on, turns out a cluster of capacitors near the yoke connector, and horizontal drive transistor spilled its guts. 

So a recap is in order, plus a flyback changeout. Then were good :)

Edited by techknight

Looks like the hacker above had a second attempt at doing this mod in a slightly different way:
http://mobley.jp/e05mod05.html

As I said before, my VGA adapter was not very strong, and my children broke it by rough treatment. So I decided to modify monitor sense of the original cable connecter itself so that it would be permanently wired for VGA mode.

• 2 weeks later...

OK--I think I'm good on the first two. I'm thinking of doing a quick fix with my LC monitors until the original part can be repaired with both caps and a new flyback. 

One has its anode cap removed already, the other hasn't been powered up since 2013 so I think we're extra safe there :)

I just want my LC to run again :) I have an extra LC board and a re-capped power supply that I won't need for a few months that I can use as stopgaps until everything is refurbished.

EDIT: Once I get the board back, do you think maybe 3 days is sufficient to let the monitor discharge? I know I could use the discharge procedure but I trust the monitor discharging itself more than I trust myself doing that. (I honestly never discharge my Classics and SEs and have removed CRTs from them after having powered them down just a few minutes earlier).

Edited by Scott Baret
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I just was given a M1299. I'd like to open it up and take a look around (check caps condition and such) but removing the two screws at the bottom didn't allow me to remove the screen from the case. I assume there are a couple tabs at the top that need a little presure but I figured before I damaged it figuring that out, I better ask.