Using Disks Between My Macintosh Classic and 575

• 68kMLA Supporter

If your external drive has the original floppy mechanism inside, it will not read or write HD (high density) 1.4MB floppies. The M0131 is an 800k external drive. This means you'll need some DD (double density) floppies. If they're IBM/DOS preformatted, they'll often say 720KB on the box. They'll also be missing the HD index hole, only having the write protect slider/index.

If your external drive has had the mechanism replaced with a 1.4MB unit, then it should read and write both DD and HD disks. Make sure your disks have been initialised in a Mac using the Mac OS Standard format. If disks are in MS-DOS format, your files' resource forks (crucial to applications and games) cannot be stored on disk, and the PC File Exchange extension is required to access the disk at all.

Once I've gotten them formatted I've had "OK", luck with using 1.44MB floppies with 400/800k drives but getting used disks to format can be a problem. I've kind of been keeping my eyes open for one of those old tape/disk bulk-erasers but lacking that I've found that taking a good powerful rare-earth magnet and spinning it around the circumference of the disk for a minute or two *seems* to help break things up enough that the weaker write current of the low density drives has a better chance to make its mark.

Remember, if you want to try this you'll have to put a piece of tape over the density select hole, otherwise the high-density drive in the 575 will stubbornly refuse to treat the disk as low-density even if you format it in the M0131. (Which won't care.)

• 68kMLA Supporter

The Macintosh Classic's internal floppy drive is a high density/1.4MB unit. If you've replaced it with the same, it should be able to read and write the same disks as your 575, provided you've initialised/erased the disks in Mac OS format. If the disks are in MS-DOS format, both machines will need the PC File Exchange extension installed. To erase a disk in System 7, select its icon on the desktop and choose Erase Disk from the Special menu. If this doesn't do it, then there's something wrong with hardware.

Edited by rsolberg
  • 68kMLA Supporter

post-2011-0-96816900-1461775789.jpg

Do the disks you're using in the Plus have the high density hole? If so, you need to tape over the hole, otherwise high density drives will treat them as such, not 800k as you've formatted them. 800k drives can't tell the difference between HD and DD media, so they treat HD disks as DD. DD formatted HD disks cannot be read or written in HD drives unless that hole is covered.