Power Mac G4. What did I find?

• 68kMLA Supporter

So I found on Craigslist a Power Mac G4. I picked it up for $10. I have zero experience with PowerPC based machines, so I don't know what I am looking at. I'm away from home, so I can't turn it on just yet, but I'm hoping one of you experienced gents can let me know what I have here? I'm on mobile right now, so I haven't done a whole lot of web searching. Does this thing run Mac OS 9?

I've included some pictures.

post-1870-0-43292600-1458244032_thumb.jpeg

post-1870-0-28845900-1458244049_thumb.jpeg

post-1870-0-00670600-1458244068_thumb.jpeg

If you're not interested in the audio bits (if that is indeed what they are), I'll take them!

And it looks like a Sawtooth, so it ought to run OS 9 just fine (it can even run 8.6 with the proper system-specific installer).

c

Edited by CC_333

You got the sort-of rare Marathon rackmount kit, for mounting it sideways in a 19" studio rack.

Trawling the Digidesign legacy support pages might tell you more about what cards you have there.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Ah thanks guys!  I got home today, and fired it up.  DP500 Gigabit Ethernet model.  Yep, it's a Pro Tools system with a MIX Core and 2x MIX Farms.  I really want to get this thing running! Looks like I'll need an Audio I/O interface like a Digidesign 888.  I'm gunna need a little rollable rack.  Neat!  

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if there were any really nice interfaces for ProTools (good DACs, ADCs) on pre-OSX machines that would be available now for pennies? A lot of people say on the 2nd version of the Alesis ADAT machines, the pro 24 bit version, those converters are excellent and can be used over optical ADAT with a modern interface. Any gems made for Mac?

I had the Echo MIA PCI card in the early 2000s, I was on Windows then but I know they also made Mac drivers. I like those converters, very warm. Maybe one of their larger systems with a nice G4? What are some other better brands to search?