Outbound 125...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 68kMLA Supporter

My guess is that the tape is due to some kind of non-standard wiring in the RAM slots. SIMMs have redundant contacts- only the front or back contacts are used by a slot as the contacts on one side address all of the module's RAM. This is why a "30 pin" SIMM actually has 60 contacts and a "72 pin" has 144.

• 68kMLA Supporter

Great find! Did you ask your source about the docking interface card for the Plus or SE? Can he provide any insight or guidance to installing larger than 80 MB hard drives in the 125 -- not so much to provide more storage, but rather vecause those old Connor drives are hard to find.

I actually wrote most of the stuff in the referenced Wiki. It didn't come from an Outbound employee. It's based on my experience.

I think Lapis or maybe Focus Enhancements sold a line of SCSI based displays back when. Reviews said they were kind of slow but good enough for presentations, IIRC.

• 68kMLA Supporter

I have nothing of real value to add to this thread, as I have no firsthand experience or knowledge of the Outbound machines. However, I remember *lusting* after them as a kid when I'd been given a big box of early MacWorld magazines by a friendly school librarian, so I'm just delighted to see someone here taking ownership of a cache of Outbound stuff. Such a weird, cool machine - I hope you have a blast with it!

Huxley

• 68kMLA Supporter

thanks!

I bid on the loads of Outbound spare parts going on ebay but gave in in the end to whoever won, shipping US -> UK is just too much of a killer and I can't keep sending stuff to my New York office or they'll get annoyed with me!

#$(&%^# got my monitor.... yup intelligently packed as I recommended (floating in box with light pieces of bubble wrap)!!! NOT! Not easy to find this monitor.. and I asked it be protected well when shipped.... Ughhhhhhhh... well just the base is broken.. I suppose I can glue it! I've learned the hard way on shipments like this to take pictures before opening and even a video of me opening the box... so it's all recorded... :p

post-2150-0-86061400-1466518570_thumb.jpg

Argh! I hear you. I probably should have taken pictures of the unboxing of the imac I was recently complaining about in the G3 forum. Though in that case, I probably won't bother with the hassle of contacting the seller about it, since the exterior looks ok and whatever damage occurred was internal. Just another project for my overflowing project pile.

Noting the record-unboxing trick for future reference.

That sucks - it looks like a fairly generic monitor casing, you might be able to find a replacement base from another donor CRT from a similar era.  It looks like the base is attached with a clip/screw to rotate around the domed bezel, which was a common method for CRTs in the day.

Edited by Byrd
  • 68kMLA Supporter

Contacted the guy selling the pile of Outbound disks asking him if he'd image them and share them but no luck, he just suggested I buy the disks... which at $50 <snip>

If anyone on here buys them - please image and share them on somewhere like Macintosh Garden (as long as it's (somewhat) legal to do so)!

Edited by Bunsen
no pricewhining

What stinks is the plastic base has the "Outbound" logo on it.. so the base is sort of essential to the piece... I am still working out damage claim so I haven't touched, cleaned or done anything with it yet till the end of the outcome...

• 1 month later...
  • 68kMLA Supporter

I'm going to resurrect this thread since it seems pertinent and not too old. Bunsen, you can split it off if you disagree.

Thanks to Cosmo, I now have an Outbound 125! That said, it was the bare machine - no power supply, cables, software/docs, etc.

I've currently located all the necessary batteries, and am working on getting a suitable power supply.

What I would love to get is some info on available doc, if there are any disk images out there for these guys, and a line on any accessories, especially the SCSI cable. A "real" Outbound power supply would be great as well. I have no idea as of yet what might be on the drive, but I guess I have to suppose it will be in Finnish :) so I'll have to figure out a way to do software re-install since I lack the floppy. SCSI Target disk mode seems like my best bet if I can find the cable.

TIA to anyone who can help out - it will be fun to get this guy up and running again. I remember seeing one way back in the day, when they cost more than my first three cars put together, not to mention needing a donor Mac to begin with!

Great that you received it! It made long flight over the atlantic to reach you.

Please continue (maybe new tread is in order?) how/what you do to it and what it requires to get it running & what you might found from the HDD.

I never had time to play around with it & obtain parts etc so i am interested to see how it works out.