Connecting a classic and an iMac G3

Hi,

Im trying to connect an iMac G3 with OS9 and a Classic with a Dayna SCSI / Ethernet breakout box. They are connected via a Netgear Prosafe GS105.

The iMac has ethernet thats working fine - I can see the internet no problems. Its actually quite a useable machine.

I don't really have a way of checking the Classic is connected. It does have all the correct connection software installed like the Dyna drivers for Ethernet.

Im looking in Appleshare to try and see the iMac, but to no avail. Likewise I checked the iMac to see the Classic but also no joy.

Ive read lots of the guides - but Im simply not that able technically. I can just about remember using Appleshare to connect to other networks, and that was when the machinery was all new.

Also can anyone tell me if its possible to connect a modern Mac ( like early a year old ) to the OS9 iMac?

Many thanks

Louis

Have you set the sharing on both machines ? In the Files sharing ctrl panel. Then in the Appletalk ctrl panel, set it to ethernet

Also set the volumes or folder you want to share , by displaying the Infos and go to "Sharing" tab, then set it to "share this Folder/Volume and content" .

Shared volumes should then be visible in the Chooser.

Highest Mac OSX version to connect to OS9 with AFP would be OSX 10.5 Leopard (And Maybe 10.6 SL, never tried…), OS9 will also see it (connect with IP).

So a year old Mac with more recent OSX version will not work. Or it will , but with another protocol like FTP.

Very good site about all that here :

http://applefool.com/se30/

Edit: :D G4MDD fast 

Edited by galgot

Have you set the sharing on both machines ? In the Files sharing ctrl panel. Then in the Appletalk ctrl panel, set it to ethernet

Also set the volumes or folder you want to share , by displaying the Infos and go to "Sharing" tab, then set it to "share this Folder/Volume and content" .

Shared volumes should then be visible in the Chooser.

Highest Mac OSX version to connect to OS9 with AFP would be OSX 10.5 Leopard (And Maybe 10.6 SL, never tried…), OS9 will also see it (connect with IP).

So a year old Mac with more recent OSX version will not work. Or it will , but with another protocol like FTP.

Very good site about all that here :

http://applefool.com/se30/

Edit: :D G4MDD fast 

To be honest the very new machine - its not necessary to connect to the network, as the iMac G3 will connect to the internet - just as they promised at the time. I was pretty impressed a machine that old could do that, out the box.

So in theory then the iMac could be fitted with a lowly version of OS X and be able to see the Classic and also see the new machine?

Limited success of sorts,

I discovered a network control panel on the Classic. This gives an option of Local Talk, ET Phase 1, and EtherTalk alternative

The only one that appears to do anything is the EtherTalk Alternative. If I select this I can see the iMac in Chooser and the iMac can see the classic.

The problem is that if the iMac tries to connect to the classic it runs a little contacting bar then tells you you get no response from the server, and if I try to contact the iMac from the classic it goes through a few screens then comes up with Appleshare divide by zero - Restart, and if you don't disconnect the Dayna box, the Classic will just continually come up with the Divide by zero error and you cannot get it to start...

Does anyone have any idea here?

many thanks