trouble getting scsi2sd to initialize

Well, my new SCSI2SD arrived today (the new small board), and I have spent the entire evening trying to get it to work with either my SE/30 or Classic II.  At first, neither machine would even recognize it was there until I updated the firmware.  Now, while they can see it, HD SC Setup won't initialize the drive.  I've tried the patched version of 7.5.3, no luck.  Am I missing something in the SCSI2HD setup? Incompatible SD card? I've read enough posts on this device that say it is a relatively pain-free and easy process, but I'm not having any luck at all.

Thanks.  I will give that a try tonight.  Last night after I posted my question I tinkered a bit more and the patched version of HD SC Setup ran for 25 minutes -- long enough to give me hope - before it crapped out again with the error message "The disk could not be initialized.  Format Verification Failed. Unable to read the required information from the disk."

Edited by fimbulvetr

I put the 2GB microSD in a USB adapter and plugged it into a G4 MDD running 10.2.8 and made a 926MB HFS standard partition on it. Put the last version of 7.6 on it.

(That should work, right?)

I can't get the 950 to boot with it anywhere on the SCSI chain tho. All by itself: :?: With the working 9GB also on the chain: :?: With the terminator on the end of the SCSI chain or without: :?:

Kind of frustrating.

I highly recommend Hard Disk SpeedTools, I've never had it let me down when it comes to dealing with SCSI2Whatever. Just don't pay for it. What they are asking is highway robbery. You can find it growing in a garden.

Edited by Paralel

Is Hard Disk Speed Tools for classic Mac OS even still for sale? I would be pretty surprised. I see something on the app store, but that's for OS X.

Yep, OWC still sells it, surprisingly. Which is actually how it ended up growing in the garden...

Edited by Paralel

It looks like Intech has brought their software sales in-house after working with OWC... that's kinda weird:

https://www.speedtools2.com/shop.html

They want 59.99 for Hark Disk Speedtools, by itself! That's criminal for a product that hasn't been updated in 12 years.

At least at OWC they'd give you both HD Speedtools and CD/DVD Speedtools for that price!

Edited by Paralel

Ouch, yeah, that's surprising for some Mac OS 7 software. I'm guessing they continue to list it in their product catalog because there's no real reason to remove it, not because they expect to sell many (or any).

My concern is it's not "abandonware" if the company behind Speed Tools still exists and is still selling it. The garden shouldn't be giving it away. As someone who's made a living in the past from selling software, this is something I feel pretty strongly about. If the price seems too high, then I think the honorable path is to use a different solution, or go without.  

I haven't tried my SCSI2SD with any machine besides the 950, which hates it.  It won't boot with it anywhere on the SCSI chain.  Doesn't ignore it and boot from a good drive, but refuses to do anything when it's on there.  I'd assume it's a SCSI id issue, but even with nothing else connected to the ribbon cable (or externally), I get a :?:

Should my method of formatting it work(microSD in a USB adapter on a G4 with Mac OS X 10.2.8 as an HFS Standard (not plus) partition and then putting the generic 7.6.1 install on it), or do I need to do it on the SCSI chain of a classic Mac OS machine and use a (not pirated) SCSI format tool?

• 4 years later...