iBook G3 Dual USB Powers to Blank Gray Screen

Hi, I have a 500mhz iBook Dual G3 that powers to a blank gray screen.  It does chime.  Tried PRAM and PMU resets no help.  Removed airport card and ram simm and still doesn't boot.  I can eject the CDROM OK.

Logic board dead or any other options?

Thanks!

Edited by Brooklyn

I've had similar issues with dead drives on G3/G4 Powerbooks and iBooks, but if I put in a bootable CD into the drive first, it boots to the cd after a couple of minutes without holding down a key.

With dead drives, I set them up with an SSD, usually a CF on an IDE adapter, and that's it for it - no more problems.

Edited by Elfen
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just had this issue with my iBook G3 600MHz. Guessing it must be a hard drive issue as well. The exact same symptoms. The annoying thing is that it's one of those IDE to SD jobs. So, that obviously didn't last long! Really annoyed that I have to take the whole iBook apart again...

Millions of screws of all different sizes, hate taking iBooks apart. No idea why it takes so much effort just to replace the HD on later Apple PPC laptops. Its just 1 screw and remove a cover on a Thinkpad.

I ripped apart one of my T61 Thinkpads last night to swap CPU's (T7300 to T9300) and I had to removed about 15 screws (3 sizes I think) and took maybe 20 minutes.

Millions of screws of all different sizes, hate taking iBooks apart. No idea why it takes so much effort just to replace the HD on later Apple PPC laptops. Its just 1 screw and remove a cover on a Thinkpad.

I ripped apart one of my T61 Thinkpads last night to swap CPU's (T7300 to T9300) and I had to removed about 15 screws (3 sizes I think) and took maybe 20 minutes.

Probably the most difficult laptop (Or any computer I can think of) to tear down. iBook G4's I simply refuse to tear down, litterally will take you an hour just to get the thing apart. Then you literally have enough variety in different screws to fill one of those weekly medicine sorters. If it's that Light grey/white screen before the apple Logo it's more than likely the hard drive. I've seen it a dozen times. Try getting into the Open Firmware console, that will tell you if your computer is working or it's actually a low level problem on the Board/Ram.