Nobody likes the G3 all-in-one

LCII + 12"RGB Monitor + 2.5yd. Duct Tape = AIO (add'l 1.5yd. Duct tape = AIO WITH handle)

Haha, that's one way to do it!! :)

You know, there's so many LCs that are connected to those dandy little displays that I've encountered at least one person who has actually believed the LC + 12" RGB is actually an AIO--I guess since they match up so well. (Just don't put one of those monitors on a IIci--now that's an ugly combo).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LCII + 12" = looks +++++ ergonomics - - - - -

IIci + 12" = looks - - - - - ergonomics +++++

IIci + Portrait = looks +++++ ergonomics - - - - -

LCII + Portrait = +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ (all tens, even from the Ukrainian judge!)

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

uniserver had somee, he'll know what kind of market the is for those gawd-awful looking things. Molar Mac is a TERRIBLE moniker for the hulking beast. Anything remotely implying "toothsome" has to have been sarcastic.

The first time I saw one was in the library at Stuyvesant H.S. on visiting day. My first thought was that one of the infamous pranksters there (think "Hackers") had put an Apple logo on a particularly horrible example of E-Machine POS MacAlike series.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wanted the one which my school was disowning a few years ago. But they would not let me have it, even though it was worthless. It was "government property" and must go through approved disposal avenue, whatever partnered tech liquidator company. It angers me so much, "the man" and "the power" and policy nonsense.

The G3 AIO is way too heavy. The shipping on them is a deal killer.

Try shipping one from USA to Canada :)   We just don't see these up here too often but Uniserver had one kicking around.  Being primarily for education, I had to have one.  They are awesome beasts.  I think  the next heaviest is a Lisa (if you count it as a Mac).

How much does the Lisa weigh? I know the eMac weighs 50 and the G3 AIO is about 60... 

Looks like the Lisa is a svelt 48 lbs.  The same site shows the eMac at 50lbs.  I wonder if they counted the Lisa external Profile hard drive?  That would add another 10 lbs at least :)

The all-in-one Macs are generally my favorites but the G3 AIO is one I just never could appreciate.  Some of them, like the TAM grew on me over time and the one in my collection certainly gets a lot of "what is that?!" reactions from people who are not so computer-savvy.  

The fact that the G3 AIO was only available to the education market was a clear sign that Apple knew it was homely.

I personally don't like the look of the Flower Power iMac either but I do actually have one in my collection because it is such an interesting and bold design.  If it weren't so massive I'm sure I would get my hands on one just because it is a curiosity in the Mac timeline.  The size and weight are just enough to kill any possible interest I have in owning one.  

And yes, it does look a lot like Gossamer from Looney Tunes.  The two odd "bumps" on the top seal the deal.

Edited by eraser

I'm trying to recall where I've seen the eyes and mouth in that "Mon Dieu" piccie?

Come to think of it, the G3 AIO is the only CRT AIO I can think of with the display set at an ergonomically correct height. The CC's is closer, but you have to squint to see it, might as well have been a 9" Periscope for all that difference.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini