azidog

Mac Classic II RAM issues

Hello,

I recently acquired a Mac Classic II in pretty rough shape and after a lot of work (including epoxying all the plastic screw holders back into place), got it booting with a nice bright image on the CRT. So far I had to recap both the analog and the Rev 1 motherboard after cleaning them thoroughly.

Booting it up shows Mac OS 7.0.1 installed.

I then replaced the RAM with 2x 4MB 80ns SIMMs but even though the system boots, it is only recognizing 4MB (the same as previously installed). I then tried to reseat the RAM chips and clean and reseat the ROM chips but that didn't do anything. Resetting the PRAM also had not changed anything.

I also found an FPU card the seller claims was tested working and the Mac also does not recognize that in the system info but still boots fine. 

Has anyone ever faced a similar issue? 

I do also see that some Rev 1 motherboard pictures have a blue bodge wire connecting the eagle chip with another on the top right of the motherboard while mine does not have that. Was that a factory fix for something?

Thanks for the replies all and thanks for all the help on reddit MrFahrenheit! The RAM was definitely 8x1024 chips and the seller is sending me new RAM (stock was mislabelled).

No jumpers installed on my motherboard and also no external ROM on the FPU card. I have the motherboard revision in the pic below.

IMG_2280.thumb.JPG.acfe341284c5dbcccb9f3d605c211d40.JPG

Looking into the blue bodge wire and the schematics from Bomarc, it seems that PIN 23 from the EGRET chip was supposed to be connected to PIN 49 of the Eagle chip. Not going to do that until I get everything working and I know what PIN 23 on the EGRET is.

image.png.03fe682e89a9232fc34c0c4999c59e03.png

EVMqZZjVAAIZocz.jpeg

Looks like from the Developer guide for the Classic II there is a 16MHz clock coming in to the FPU board so should be working. Ordered an external 5V DIP-14 clock to test (one 25MHz and one 50MHz to see if a 2x overclock works) just in case. Hopefully the MC68882 chip isnt faulty.

9 fixed traces later (mostly near the DFAC chip) sound is working and the FPU is being recognized by Speedometer. Added the 50MHz crystal and things are looking good. Will probably have to take off that chip and repair the board further but for now i'll enjoy the Mac as is.

The new SIMMs were delivered and I'm at 10MB as well.

Thank you all for your help.