saybur

SCSI to Ethernet Adapter on New Hardware

On 3/6/2020 at 12:38 PM, aperezbios said:

The PCBs are finally out for delivery today via DHL. I'll keep y'all updated.

Let me guess... delayed by Chinese New Year and Coronavirus? I did a run of PCB's for a conference badge a few weeks ago, and at the last minute I had to do an emergency order from a Korean PCB manufacturer because my order from JLCPCB so delayed. It sounds like a lot of people have been affected by this.

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

2 hours ago, PotatoFi said:

Let me guess... delayed by Chinese New Year and Coronavirus? I did a run of PCB's for a conference badge a few weeks ago, and at the last minute I had to do an emergency order from a Korean PCB manufacturer because my order from JLCPCB so delayed. It sounds like a lot of people have been affected by this.

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out!

That’s surprising, since I recently got an order from JLCPCB and they told me they weren’t experiencing any interruptions due to Coronavirus.

@saybur - I'm curious to know what sort of file transfer speeds you're seeing to and from the SD drive over SCSI if you get a moment to test that

I just pushed an update to Github that gets the speed to ~950kB/s on my modern desktop with an AVA-2906 host (originally it was more like ~550kB/s).  Theoretical maximum with the microcontroller's CPU clock is probably something like 1.8MB/s, so there is still quite a bit of room for improvement.

Also, I'm also planning on getting mode information into the firmware to allow formatting and the like: Linux is not happy with this device not providing it, though AFAIK it isn't strictly required by the spec.  There are also plenty of other bugfixes that likely need to be applied as well.

I finally got enough additional commands implemented that a patched copy of HD SC 7.3.5 can format the emulated drive, which is so much nicer than having to pull the SD card and have to format it on a separate computer.  I also did some more speed testing on my IIci and got ~1.25MB/s on reads and ~768kB/s on writes.  The same computer also has an older SCSI2SD clone board, which averaged ~1.15MB/s read and ~1.00Mb/s write performance.  Testing was done with 100-600K transfer sizes using SCSI Evaluator 1.07.  I'd take these results with a grain of salt, and I'd be curious if anyone reading can verify similar SCSI2SD performance in a IIci.

Future plans include increasing write performance and seeing if any of these tweaks can be applied to the Ethernet controller as well.  I also want to test this on a Plus and see if the thing works with the quirky SCSI implementation that computer has.  I hope to get my Plus recapped in some free time coming up, and I'll see what that testing shows.

I ordered a few of these boards to check out. Do you have any suggestions for a low cost programmer? It looks to me that the Pocket AVR programmer from sparkfun should work. Am I missing anything major?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825

Or, it appears I might be able to just use the GPIO pins from a Raspberry Pi too.... https://learn.adafruit.com/program-an-avr-or-arduino-using-raspberry-pi-gpio-pins/overview

Any suggestions?

I'm looking forward to getting my parts and checking this out!

I personally use and like the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2, a clone of the real AVRISP mkII.  Mouser and Digikey have it for ~$24 and it is useful across the main 8-bit AVR line: it does ISP for regular AVRs and PDI for Xmegas like on this board (though not UPDI on the new mega0/tiny1 chips).  Most of the tutorials out there are for the standard AVRs using ISP, but I did see a Raspberry Pi program for PDI here:

https://github.com/DiUS/xmega-pdi-pi2

It looks like it hasn't been updated in a while though.

For future readers of this thread.... I wasn't able to get the xmega-pdi-pi2 programmer to work with my ATxmega128a3. It threw an error while trying to program that there was a mismatch at address 212 :-( 

I'm giving up on the pi method, and ordered the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 :-) I've got too many projects lined up. Spending a day debugging a MCU programmer to save $25 isn't high on my list