register

• Content Count

• Last visited

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. You would not even need to carve the cylindrical shape; just glue it in place (This might give us a hint to what inspired the designer in the first place.)
  2. In the days of System 7 someone wrote a little piece of software called "veraeusser" to do exactly the trick you are asking for: Deactivate the internal display in a PowerBook while driving an external display. Unfortunately I can not locate a copy of this. Probably a fellow comrade will provide it to you. Please be so kind and post if (where) you found it. With best regards.
  3. Many rubber feet cause discolouration of the surface they stand on (like a table with wooden/plastic/laquered surface). You can easily make custom feet from wine cork (natural corc, neither plastics nor composite corc made from ground corc leftover). Just cut it to the desired size and attach it with adhesive tape or some neutral bonding emulsion/glue. Natural cork will usually cause no issues regarding discolouration, as long as you use a glue that will not act in this way. For example, Pattex glue _will_ cause discolouration, diffusing through the porous corc. The cork itself is neutral to most surfaces. It can be cut with a sharp knive, better with a fine saw. Cork can be ground to exact dimensions easily with sandpaper. Just cut out a set of corc feet, grind the feet to the same thickness, attach them, and the Mac will happily stand on environmentally acceptable antiskid feet
  4. register

Duo Two-Button Mouse - Power Click

Most likely the schematics behind this are simple, as Apple would not have used a different controller to enable this function. Is there a pinout available? Probably one could wire a PB1xx the same way and use it with the driver mentioned above.
  5. register

What the hack! My current Powerbook 170 Setup

What a lovely setup! If available, please post a software configuration table to reproduce that project, given the hardware is at hand
  6. register

2x BeBoxes!

A version of BeOS is available to run on Apple PPC hardware like the beige G3. I remember that I fetched a promotional CD with a bootable BeOS in about 1998. It took ages to boot but was usable. Because it was my office computer I did not install BeOS on the harddisk drive of that computer and have no further experience regarding BeOS.
  7. A simple circuit schematic that adds SCSI activity lights to signalise not only transfer activity but also the involved device ID. This might be useful for diagnostic purposes. The complete information is available here: horst-lehner.mausnet.de/efaq
  8. register

Connecting 68k Macs to LCD Monitors

Kai Kramp's collection of Macintosh related hardware hacks seems not to be available as a website, anymore. However, it can be found somewhere in the back of intarwebs as a copy of the early standalone file to be viewed on a classic Mac. Very useful this file can be: loeten-am-mac-016.hqx. This file contains a lot of pinouts and hints like how to make a hardware handshake cable for the serial port, wire the sense pins correctly to set up a desired video resolution or also overclocking information. Some portions are written in English language, the rest is in German.
  9. You could try if there is a simple way to patch the drive setup software to support an unknown type / vendor of the replacement IDE drive: Use a system profiler or similar software to look up the drive's identification. Make a copy of the Drive Setup software. Fire up ResEdit, open that copy of Drive Setup, find a ressource with a list of supported drives and just change one to resemble the exact identification of the drive you have. As far as I remenber that is a viable solution for many primarily unsupported SCSI drives. The PB150 does only accept storage identified as _non_ removable media connected to the internal IDE drive mount. It works with IDE HDDs and »industrial« CF storage. One can trick the PB150 into accepting standard CF memory (which is identified as removable media), but that requires additional hardware to reverse the bit order at some stage of the drive identification sequence. Someone has done this, but I would opt for a PB14x, 16x or 180 with SCSI2SD before putting that much effort into a 150.
  10. register

fried-bees.jpg

Interesting attempt to debug a board with a spoon…
  11. register

Beige G3 Strange Issues

1. Once, I bricked my beige G3 Desktop by installing Dantz Retrospect software. Afterwards it came back to life only after proper use of the CUDA reset button. I remember that there is a recommended sequence to use this button. 2. Large amounts of RAM on old Macs cause an unfamiliar prolonged duration of the RAM test. If the RAM is good, just turn off the RAM test in the boot process by unchecking that option in the Memory cp. Note: You need to depress the key combination Command-Option while opening the cp to bring up this option :-)
  12. register

PowerBook 550c

I would like to add to 6502's comment, that it is highly recpmmended to use an SSD or other Flash Memory to replace the primary hard disk drive in any (vintage or not so vintage) computer you would like to put into frequent use. Even a ten years old Macbook benefits so very much from fast mass storage, that it remains usable as an everyday computer for most tasks up till today. To get some inspiration, you might consider to look into the Wiki article SCSI hard disk replacement options. The PB5xx series has an internal IDE connector and also an SCSI host adapter. Using the IDE connector you are already halfways up the path to use a CF card instead of the original HDD. Other options are available. The Peripherals section of our forum is a valuable source. If you tried using flash memory in your Mac, please take a minute to share your experience in the Wiki chart on Flash drive test results.
  13. register

Mac LC III 16mhz?

The LCIII's clockspeed is set by some resistors soldered to the mainboard, similar to the LC475. The clockspeed is not set in the CPU itself. You may identify the clockspeed just by looking at the resistor setting. Many LCIII units with a regular 25 MHz CPU can be overclocked to 33 MHz easily by moving just one resistor, which is a popular upgrade path to the LCIII+.
  14. register

PowerBook 180 no power (x2)

I found the female power connector soldered to the 180's mainboard to easily cause a slack joint. It can be damaged by bending the contacts, the solder pads in the mainboard can become loose, and also the contacts may corrode from the 3 A uptake of the PowerBook. My first PowerBook was pulled from my knees by the cable and fell just onto the plug. Both the cable and the jack broke. I fixed the power adapter with a new cable and a new plug (a flexible rubber stage quality microphone cable is appropriate for this purpose, and you can choose from many colours), and also soldered a new jack onto the mainboard. That solved any power problems in this machine for quite a long time, until all of the batteries died.
  15. register

PowerBook 550c

Great thread, I really enjoyed the read. Thank you for sharing! Suggestion of an »earthly idea what application you could use for a modem in a Blackbird in this day and age«: Consider to use an address manager application (like »Address Manager« or »CoMa Mac«) that does not publish your contact data to the rest of the world. Just wire it to your phone line in parallel to your phone. The machine can dial for you and pick up the phone for you and also send / receive fax messages. Depending on te hardware it might even serve as an answering machine. A set of one time pads and a fax connection can also serve for strongly encrypted telecommunication (the one time pad encryption works with any media, of course, but a fax can be a nice tool for practising). The modem also enables the machine to set up direct network connections to other computers (think of ARA) or to dial into a BBS system. If you could please take some notes of which combination of CF memory card, adapter, system software and formatting software works and works not for you, consider also to publish your results (positive as well as negative finds) in our Wiki, like on the page Flash drive test results.