Paulie

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Paulie

SE/30 installation woes

Thanks, I'll give that a try and report back
  2. Paulie

SE/30 installation woes

As requested. These settings work perfectly in my LC475, FWIW.
  3. Paulie

SE/30 installation woes

Thanks for chiming in. SCSI2SD is set to the defaults, if anyone has better suggestions then I'll try them immediately. Appreciate the link; the poster said that they tried 6.2.9 which worked fine; I was already on 6.3.1 but dropped it back down to 6.2.9, but that didn't make a difference for me.
  4. Paulie

SE/30 installation woes

Run out of ideas on this one. No matter what I do, my SE/30 gives me 'address error' when I'm trying to install anything. I've tried multiple SD cards in my SCSI2SD, and according to MacCheck, the RAM is fine. It will also do the same thing whilst trying to initialize the HDD, with Finder or Apple SC HD throwing the error instead. Does anyone have any ideas? Spec: SE/30, 4MB RAM, SCSI2SD V6.
  5. Paulie

Things Paulie bought that he didn't really need

And now for something I really didn't need and spent too much money on. SE/30 in 'extra mature' yellow. 4MB RAM, 20MB HDD (working!), currently running 6.0.8 but that'll change. It's a little 'used' cosmetically but nothing above some light scrapes and general yellowing. The seller claims it's been recapped too, so I can't complain too much. I've rather overspent on the vintage Macs this month so I won't be doing anything particularly drastic to it for now. Next month, however, I'll up the RAM to 32MB and get looking for an A/UX-compatible network card.
  6. Paulie

Let's see if it works first. That'll decide it's fate. Then I can go about making it look pretty less beaten up.
  7. Paulie

I do have the power button and the CDROM bezel, except they require some attention from some glue. I'll put it all back together properly if the machine turns out to work.
  8. Starting a generic thread because I have a feeling it's going to grow. Time for the first entry in 'tales from Paulie's living room floor'. So it was a productive weekend in terms of beige Macintosh acquisition. After losing out on a decently spec'd but overpriced LC475 on eBay due to the seller refusing to actually let me have it for the winning bid (that's a story in and of itself), I decided to reinvest the money in something else. Not very long later I found a Power Macintosh G3 (of the beige variety) a reasonable distance away. Three hours later; I had it in my possession. Condition wise; it's in excellent condition considering it's age. According to the label on the back, it started life as a G3/266, but thanks to a Sonnet thingy it's now a 366. Which is nice. Got 512MB RAM, which in theory could go to 768MB if I was determined enough. Has a non-original 80GB Seagate IDE HDD, Apple IDE CD-ROM, floppy (which works, amazingly), and a Zip drive which I haven't tested yet due to lack of disks. I've chucked 9.2.2 on it, seems appropriate for the age and spec. Technically it could handle OSX, but I think it would start to struggle. Here it is running. That was Saturday. On Sunday, I had a visit from joshc, who had sold me his 8200/120 that needs some help. For the uninitiated, the 8200 is basically a 8100 in a tower case, that wasn't sold in North America. This particular one has seen a little too much time near the sun, and has what I'm calling Plastic Leprosy. Anything plastic is very brittle, and Josh supplied me with a bag of plastic parts that have already fallen off. The reason I have it is that the PSU is toast (literally, see Josh's thread), and Josh has too many other projects on the go to give this one the love and attention it deserves. Originally I was considering building some sort of ATX swap arrangement for it; but luckily I found a PSU (from a 9500 which appears to use the same one) on eBay, so have snapped that up and waiting for it to arrive. Honestly it's unknown if this thing even works, but if it does, I'll tidy it up (including gluing some of the plastic bits back together), and I think 8.6 would be appropriate. Still not ruling out engineering a ATX adaptor for it, though, especially since I have the dead PSU to harvest the wires/connectors from. Check out the size of this PSU. Absolute chonker.
  9. Paulie

I join the iBook club: 2002 white G3/600

That's that sorted out.
  10. Basically I got jealous of other user's iBooks, and wanted my own one. Got it reasonably cheap and it's in pretty good condition. Currently loaded with 10.1 but am planning on making it 9.2.2 only. Has 128MB RAM but I have a 512MB stick ready to go in.
  11. Paulie

LC475 / Power Macintosh 8200 / Performa 630

May be an obvious question, but does it chime if you plug headphones into it? Mine doesn't chime (I think the speaker is dying/dead), although occasionally it makes a weird garbled sound. The chime comes through fine through the headphone socket, though.
  12. Paulie

No it's not, it's a badge engineered LC at best
  13. Paulie

iBook G3 Snow White 2001

Nice. Very tempted to picking up one of these myself for a OS9 machine too.
  14. Paulie

Would it be helpful to meet up (once lockdown is over, of course) and I'll bring my working LC475 and we can swap out parts until we find the culpit? I'll take that Power Mac off your hands too...
  15. Paulie

My ongoing LC 475 restoration

At this rate, I'll have bought and rebuilt a whole army of 90s Macs before lockdown ends! I'm hoping to pick up an SCSI2SD at the end of the month (if the board doesn't work, at least I have one for the next machine (uh oh )). But fair point; I mean there must be a reason why this machine was dumped. I suspect the dead floppy drive at the moment. Sounds good, I'll raid another PC speaker from somewhere and investigate. I have Dyna Comp PSU, should I still worry? It seems to work perfectly fine at the moment, but I could always take it on with my new-found soldering skillz.