pax

• Content Count

• Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

490 profile views
  1. pax

LC 630 DOS-Compatible "Adapter Board"

A DOS card recently sold on eBay and it got me thinking; is it remotely possible to convert a non-DOS compatible board to be compatible, e.g. by adding the missing internal video connector? The extra SIM slot looks easy enough to add and may not even be necessary to have in the first place.
  2. pax

Using SCSI2SD v5.5 in a Powerbook

Man, that looks great. Inertial should sell these instead of the 2.5 inch SCSI2SD. If not I'm sure a bunch of folks here are interested if you make a few.
  3. Thanks. Yeah, backed up System Folder is always a good idea. For some of my Macs I have an image of the base install always ready to go. To each their own I guess. I mostly agree, but I also enjoy using System 6 and System 7 on all my machines that can run it. With maxed out RAM it's hard to notice a difference in performance between 7.6 and 9, except for boot which is certainly a lot faster on 7.6. In any case, I certainly wouldn't want to be without 9. I originally intended to go down a similar path as @jeremywork above (and I have in another Mac), but for the TAM I ended up using a KingSpec PATA/IDE SSD. They're available on Amazon in many different sizes. I've only had it for a couple of months, but it seems to work well so far.
  4. Sounds like 9.1 is the way to go. This was what I had in mind too. I might give the HFS+ back port a try instead. Thanks!
  5. Yeah, that's how I feel too, but people on 9.2 seem to swear that it performance improves, not suffers. But that might just be confirmation bias. Interesting, thanks. So that's another reason to pick 8.6 rather than 8.1. I have a 128 GB Kingston SSD so there's plenty of room if I want to follow you lead and make partitions for both 8.1 and 8.6. Are you using HFS for all four partitions or only the first?
  6. I'm running Mac OS 7.6.1 on my TAM with a Sonnet Crescendo/L2 G3 500. That's what the machine shipped with and I usually always have a partition with the original OS version for period authenticity. More often than not this is also the fastest option. Anyway, I'm planning on adding Mac OS 8 and Mac OS 9 on separate partitions and wanted to see which versions TAM owners prefer and recommend. For Mac OS 8 I assume that 8.6 is the way to go to reduce 68k emulation as much as possible. As for Mac OS 9, EveryMac and Wikipedia list the maximum supported version as 9.1, but I get the impression that some TAM owners use OS9 Helper to install 9.2.1 or 9.2.2. My main motivation for installing something other than 7.6.1 is to use my Sonnet Tango Firewire/USB PCI card, which list 9.0 as minimum system requirements.
  7. pax

Inertial Computing (SCSI2SD) MIA???

My understanding is that new board production is on hold at the moment, but that you can order anything that is listed as in stock.
  8. F/w 3.07 works just fine with System 7.5 on my SE/30.
  9. I think both are very interesting, but my vote goes to a breakout box. Feels like that opens more exciting and new options.
  10. pax

Possible to run .jar java applets?

I haven’t run MRJ in 20 years, but I believe that 2.0 introduced support for .jar files. https://www.macintoshrepository.org/1781-mrj-sdk-2-0-2-0-1 It’s probably Java 1.1 though so it might be too old for you. But it should work on 7.5. Newer MRJ versions required System 8 I think. It’s been a while...
  11. I received mine too. Good stuff. I'm not in the same place as my IIfx at the moment so it'll be a while before I can test.
  12. @hyperneogeo 8 sticks please. I PM’d you.
  13. I think the IIsi stock ROM does support HD20, while it’s missing from IIx, IIcx, IIfx and SE/30.