Compgeke

• Content Count

• Last visited

2 Followers

About Compgeke

• Birthday 01/06/1997

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Compgeke

BGE's take on the Quadra 900/950 ATX PSU Mod

I'll see if I can dig up testing I did as part of my project later. I did some tests as part of current draw/voltage drop across my board by making a harness to go between the motherboard and PSU with breaks in the voltage lines. Hooked up my bench PSU as the power source to get a fairly accurate idea of current draw on 5V and 12V, as well as a measurement of input voltage vs output voltage (aka, does my board need thicker copper and/or thicker traces/more plane area?). I mostly just shat pictures into a group chat instead of actually documenting anything, which makes it difficult. Go me? I should be able to find stuff on the IIcx, IIci, IIsi, Quadra 650 and LC 3. Having charts of the various Apple machines and real world power draw would be nice.
  2. Compgeke

Homebrew PRAM Batteries

In a similar way, I've just straight up soldered CR2032 holders in place of the originals. Both Keystone #1058 and unknown SMT 2032 holders from Excess Solutions fit fine with the tabs directly over the original through holes. Flood through holes, glue holder in place, heat tabs. Works great.
  3. Compgeke

MacSD - new SCSI SD card emulation tool

Basically any Toshiba or Plextor can. XM-5401B, PX-40TSe, etc, etc. I know Sanyo can not for sure (used in some LaCie drives). The CR504/CD600i iirc is jumperable too, using the 2nd from the far right jumper to enable 512 byte sector support. The 300i might also support that, but I don't remember off the top of my head.
  4. Compgeke

MacSD - new SCSI SD card emulation tool

Does the CD emulation support 512 byte sector reads? It's an issue with real CD drives on Unix machines and not dealing with real CDs on those would be great.
  5. Compgeke

Compgeke's Acquisitions

Sure!
  6. Compgeke

Compgeke's Acquisitions

New Machine: Outbound 125. Got this from that ebay auction that ended last week! Not sure if it works or not yet - I need to get batteries for the keyboard.
  7. Compgeke

Compgeke's Acquisitions

A few months ago I picked up a Mac IIci and a Mac IIsi for $40 off Craigslist. Tonight I got around to mostly finishing the IIsi . All things considered, the IIsi wasn't in the worst shape I've seen them. Some leakage, but not extreme. Power supply certainly wasn't pretty though. But what the heck, that's literally the reason I created the mAcTX. While I was in there, I also went ahead and replaced the 1/2 AA with a CR2032 and added a CPU heatsink. I've got a 50 MHz crystal to swap in eventually to overclock the machine to 25 MHz. I just need to unclog my desoldering gun . So here's how it sits now! I still need to go through and clean up the fan and where the fan goes on the chassis. Both are advanced caked with dust, not the kind of dust just some air will clean off. Gotta scrub it. I'd ultimately bought this lot so I could design a DC input holder for the mAcTX board. here's how that looks Overall I'm not upset with how the IIsi came out. It might not be my favorite machine, but they certainly aren't the worst! The IIci will need a lot more help when I get to it. I already know all three of the soft power related chips are shot, as is the bus driver for the last nubus slot.
  8. Compgeke

Compgeke's Acquisitions

Came with what was once NeXTSTEP 0.9 and 1.0, but since overwritten. + one generic NeXT branded blank disk and one random third party disk. (Late post, how'd I save it instead of posting?) What's currently on them? Great question! I'm going to try and image them in a SCSI MO drive to see if I can pull something off them. Unfortunately I can't go recap and get started working on my Cube's built in drive as it's slightly burnt. I guess that's why it came completely disconnected with the interface ribbon cable missing.
  9. Compgeke

Compgeke's Acquisitions

Came with what was once NeXTSTEP 0.9 and 1.0, but since overwritten. + one generic NeXT branded blank disk and one random third party disk. What's currently on them? Great question! I'm going to try and image them in a SCSI MO drive to see if I can pull something off them. Unfortunately I can't go recap and get started working on my Cube's built in drive as it's slightly burnt. I guess that's why it came completely disconnected with the interface ribbon cable missing.
  10. Compgeke

Latest Trade: Mac IIci and others

Check on these two chips specifically, the 74ALS240 s. I've had three boards where I had to replace themme to make nubus work again. They're the bus drivers for the slots, so they're reasonably important for the functionality of the slot. The bottom one usually goes first.
  11. Compgeke

Compgeke's Acquisitions

I get enough junk I figured I should start a thread for the odds and ends I get. I'll start with today's pickup: A NeXT Cube. A friend sent me a link to one on Facebook Marketplace last night for $200, and by some miracle it was still available! It's a little beat up but shoot, the price was right. Let's ch Let's check out that motherboard. Hey! It's got a 68040! This machine's not actually marked as being a Cube but instead just a NeXT. It's been upgraded at some point. It also looks to have 8 megs of ram. That's acceptable - probably period. Not only did it come with the software and stuff, it also came with NeXT branded power leads. Never seen these before! Oh yeah, and printer is S/N 56. Wonder how many of these they made.
  12. Compgeke

BGE's take on the Quadra 900/950 ATX PSU Mod

Relevant to the thread, so I'll crosspost it here
  13. Compgeke

Quadra 630 ATX Adapter

Alright so use this as constructive feedback and *not* criticism of the board - I want to help avoid the mistakes I did with the mAcTX board :). So one of the first things I notice is you have the connector for the PicoPSU and the Mac harness on the same side of the board. I'd swap that Mac harness connector to the back side of the board, allowing for you to run the picopsu into the hole for the original PSU and keep the 12V lead for that going straight. The next thing I'd do is try and keep all the small parts to one side of the board, away from the middle in between the two connectors. It'll look more pretty and professional, but also follow onto the next tip. Switch to planes over traces. 5V and Ground shouldn't be traces, at all. Use planes right off the bat. The reason for this is it allows for a cleaner board layout and allows for higher current handling. You'll still have some rails like the +12V that need routed as a trace, but using a 75-100 mil trace will suffice, just run it around the outside edge of the board. These machines are very 5V heavy so you want to make all the space you can for that. I've attached a couple images of a halfassed Q630 compatible board. It's basically a rough draft of what I'd do myself. It's basically a modification of the mAcTX IIc layout, but for a Quadra.
  14. Compgeke

Quadra 630 ATX Adapter

Here's a sloppily trimmed and annotated version of the schematic from the mAcTX IIc. This is the setup I had to use to make soft power reliably work one everything. I've not tested this on a Q630 - but it does work on all the machines the board fits into.
  15. Compgeke

mAcTX - ATX to Classic Macs

It's been a while, but I finally have an update. I've got my hands on a 3D printer I can borrow as long as I need, meaning I can actually do brackets without waiting on shipping for every change. The first one is for the IIsi - it's nearly completed. Made a few small changes from this test, waiting on that one above to print. It's almost fitting. As soon as I can get the IIsi done, I'll whip up something for the IIcx/ci/whatever afterwards. Once all that is done, I'll get some brackets made up by a friend with a much better printer. The prints from this M3D Micro are nowhere near the quality or strength required for actual use - I'm having to reinforce the latching tabs so they don't snap off right away. It's an issue with this printer only though, it's not particularly accurate.