jeremywork

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

894 profile views
  1. I'm using a SanDisk CF card in a generic adapter (CF is logically compatible with IDE.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB2TWI https://www.ebay.com/itm/271583773005 I bought over two years ago, but the same listings are still live, so these should work for you. Be sure to insert the 2.5" adapter correctly, as there's nothing to prevent it from being installed in reverse. I have my 2.5" IDE cable folded 180 outward towards the open back, so that the CF card assembly pushes against the inside frame to stabilize it. The cable keeps enough tension on it to hold in place, showing the SanDisk sticker along the edge facing out. Don't read into the Tempo Trio. I haven't gotten its ATA to work; it simply acts like a Tango.
  2. jeremywork

New 8600/300 Owner Questions

The slow SCSI bus is connected to the external port as well, so as to be compatible with most cabling without issues. Those hooks stabilize the CPU daughtercard when the case is closed, so don't route cables there or you'll pinch them/stress the CPU & logic board. Those bottom bays didn't have factory cabling in my experience, but they may have in the Workgroup server configurations, which included a 40MB/s 68-pin Jackhammer PCI card. You could also use a SATA or IDE PCI add-in to utilize the bays that way, but if you found an adequate SCSI cable you could route all the bays to your internal 20MB/s fast SCSI too.
  3. I know, but I chose HFS for my 8.1 install primarily so it would be accessible when I'm booted to 7.6.1, though with @elliottnunn's revelation below I may revise this.
  4. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe 7.6.1 and 8.1 are both Mac OS Standard (HFS) each 2 or 4GB (can't remember.) 8.6 and 9.1 are HFS+ (Extended) and divide the remainder of the space.
  5. 8.6 will run with OS 9's extensions for Firewire and USB. Architecturally, It's quite similar to 9.0-9.0.4, just not as built out with features, so it is a bit lighter weight, but application compatibility will mostly overlap, even for softwares that advertise only OS 9 compatibility. I installed a 128GB CF card on my TAM's internal IDE, and partitioned it for 7.6.1, 8.1, 8.6, and 9.1. Running with the stock 603ev I prefer to stay on 7.6-8.1, but with a G3/500 even 9.1 is as snappy as you can ask for classic Mac OS. Anything that won't perform adequately at 500MHz is likely hitting other bottlenecks than OS overhead. Also, while emulating 68k isn't "ideal," the 603e included double the cache size of the original 603, so emulation is substantially more efficient than on the 5200/6200, clock speed aside. You can also install Speed Doubler's optimized 68k translation library, I've found it effective.
  6. jeremywork

840AV identify missing IC @ U9

I just dragged this one in from ebay, it needs some attention to say the least but confirms your part number.
  7. jeremywork

Multiple Scan 17 Display wuestion

These will accept any signal within their range. Mine works fine in 6.0.7 on my IIfx, though on cards that do not support software resolution switching a dipswitch adapter is needed to change to resolutions above 640x480. This is a limitation of those older video cards, not the monitor.
  8. Good to hear you have it working! I run mine in a Mach V board as well, so it's not an inherent design defect. The 'divide by zero' error is what I expect to see with no NVRAM patch, but it should always chime with video output if it's connected properly. I think you can restore the NVRAM patch using a Sonnet diskette if you zap it, rather than needing to revert to the 604ev. Holding shift may also work... Is there a current source for 128MB modules for these? I tried Memoryx a few years ago, but the modules all read as 64MB, despite a pair of OWC ones reading correctly... Oh well, 2x128+10x32 is still more than plenty
  9. Yes- the video connector on the card is driven by the RAMDAC reading from the card's VRAM every screen refresh, and likewise the internal video is drawn from the onboard RAMDAC, which pulls data from the expandable VRAM on the logic board. The RAMDAC reads from the VRAM extremely fast- 640x480x8-bit@67Hz is already 20MB/s, and a nicer Nubus' 1152x870x24-bit@75Hz is 215MB/s! (this is why high end RAMDACs and large VRAM frame buffers were expensive.) Even if you just wanted the Nubus graphics processor write to the onboard VRAM during instructions, it would require interrupting the CPU (the VRAM is tied directly to the pseudo-PDS, not in a DMA channel.) This penalty would almost certainly negate any CPU time saved by the Nubus controller, not to mention the Nubus interface the data would have to move through is much slower than the CPU's VRAM interface. This is why Radius Rockets perform so much better with video cards that support Nubus block transfer, rather than onboard Quadra video. Aside from last generation machines like the 840AV and x100 PowerMacs, Nubus can exchange data significantly faster between two cards via block transfer than any one card can talk to the host CPU. The one feature that may work with no monitor connected would be the DSPs on Thunder cards. In the context of Photoshop filters, DSPs were implemented more traditionally as logic coprocessors, saving the CPU from having to render the complex output, but still relaying back to the CPU to handle that output. Radius and Supermac both made standalone cards with only the DSPs, too.
  10. jeremywork

SuperMac Accelerator drivers

Leads on this are pretty cold... it's a SuperMac SpeedCard Thanks to this eBay seller we know what the driver diskette looks like, and handily the front cover of the manual shows a screenshot of the System 6 control panel, indicating that the cdev is likely just called 'SpeedCard.' Perhaps they or a future buyer could be persuaded to image the diskette. https://www.ebay.com/itm/0006279-0001-SUPERMAC-SpeedCard-for-Macintosh-SE-16MHz-68000-Accelerator-Card-/142361808825 Other than that, there was mention of one in a collection here in 2007 and another on arstechnica in 2002. It's a long shot, but if you want to track them down it might still pay off... https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=14878659&sid=2c044bb333fded51c4f0c2bcf45f78a2#p14878659 Edit: One more from 2007, post #14: https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/352410-your-computer.html
  11. There's an important distinction to make between Color QuickDraw performance and raw bandwidth. The way Nubus video cards accelerate the desktop experience is by handling QuickDraw instructions in place of the CPU, thereby allowing the CPU to immediately parse the next instruction while the video processor on the Nubus card goes about completing the draw task. In cases where the instructions are relatively straightforward to understand but take a longer time to actually carry-out, the performance is considerably greater. Scrolling through a full-screen finder window in 24-bit color is a good example of this: The CPU only needs to tell the Nubus card about the lowest bit of picture, the one that appeared from the bottom when you scrolled down- otherwise, the Nubus card just needs to take the rest of the window (which is already live in the card's VRAM) and move it the correct number of pixels higher. Since the Nubus card's controller is optimized for video tasks and has a very high bandwidth connection to the card's onboard VRAM, this can be completed much more quickly than a 68040 makes the same change to the Quadra's internal VRAM. As a bonus, the 68040 was able to go back to other computational tasks immediately after delegating the command to the Nubus card, further enhancing the speed of operation. Where things get interesting is when the screen is being drawn with mostly unique information. Since there's no elegant way to utilize QuickDraw commands to draw a complex image, the 68040 sends a stream of small instructions, essentially manually going through each pixel and relaying its proper value. The Nubus controller can still translate this data to its VRAM with little issue, but the bandwidth shared between all Nubus devices is only 10 or 20MHz, compared to the 25, 33, or 40MHz dedicated connection between the 68040 and its onboard VRAM. As a result, the built-in video is noticeably faster at handling motion video type content. As a quick test, you can open the 'Jigsaw Puzzle' app, generate a new puzzle with large pieces, and set your monitor(s) to 'Millions of colors.' Piece the puzzle together without letting it snap into the background, and you'll be able to drag the world-map around the frame in real-time. The redraw movement is visibly smoother on my Quadra 950's built-in-video than the second screen on my Radius LeMans GT Nubus card, which is significantly faster than the 950 in QuickDraw tasks. In general, most games of the period used 640x480x8bpp to minimize the drawing overhead of full-frames anyhow, so the lack of Nubus bandwidth shouldn't make anything unplayable, but don't expect video to be universally faster even if the card is said to be faster than the built-in video.
  12. Unfortunately the 50/66MHz PPC and the similar 100MHz one only allow the cache to function in PPC mode. The 'FastCache Quadra' uses the PDS slot, and works with the QuadControl control panel, resulting in significantly better built-in-video performance, as well as raw CPU speed. There are also cache modules that sit between the 040 and logic board, preserving the PDS slot. Some also multiply the bus clock to provide a 50MHz 040 on top of the cache. I haven't been so lucky to find one of those yet. Daystar's rarer 80Mhz 601 with RAM expansion will allow the Cache to function in 68k mode (with Daystar QuadControl control panel- still says 128k in 040 mode despite being 1M in 601 mode) as well as the 72-pin RAM too.
  13. Also from the manual: I don't recall having issues just inserting it into a working config, but in my case there were already drivers for NewerTech's G4, so perhaps that helped me avoid this roadblock. If you haven't already, try installing the NVRAM patch from the Crescendo/Encore 3.1 driver here: https://macintoshgarden.org/sites/macintoshgarden.org/files/apps/ce_install_v31.sit
  14. Out of curiosity, when you get no chime does it seem to respond to Ctrl+Cmd+Softpower? I have too many cards to say where this issue lies, but my 9600 will work properly at cold boot until I restart, which will result in a chime/blackscreen or chime/video/flashing'?' until I soft reset once. I've always put up with it because it's consistent, but seems to happen with either my Sonnet or MaxPowr G4- can't remember if it happened with the 604ev. Have you tried contact cleaner in the CPU card slot? Perhaps the 7455 card uses more/different circuits than the 7400 card, or maybe the 7400 card is slightly thicker and makes better contact with the slot pins... You might try inserting the card firmly and then pulling back ever so slightly, in case there's a worn out patch of metal on the contact surface.
  15. Another tidbit from Sonnet's FAQ: http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb/kb.php?cat=319 It's not clear whether the symptom of an incompatible card is no chime, but worth trying if you have an R7000 or similar.