jeremywork

• Content Count

• Last visited

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

592 profile views
  1. jeremywork

Any interest in 16MB Mac IIFX memory modules?

Please put me down for eight sticks if you haven't sold out. 128 may be overkill but extra application memory combined with a big RAM disk really increases the machine's utility.
  2. jeremywork

PowerPC overclocking and limitations

I had a similar experience when testing RAM in my 8100 under 8.5 and 8.6- the RAM test would freeze at various points, and occasionally produce a failure message regardless of which modules I had swapped in. To my surprise (after much frustration) I found that Apple Personal Diagnostics would completely pass the RAM test when I was booted from a retail 7.5.3 CD, even with the same memory installed as had crashed in 8.6 (by this point I had learned how to squeeze my hands in to swap modules without removing the logic board.) I'd try an older OS just to be sure it's not a failure of the diagnostic itself- I haven't yet tested to see if this is true on other machines.
  3. jeremywork

eBay IIci WTF

I bought a IIci with a Micron 128k cache, also jammed in the Nubus slot. The seller said they tried to power it on, and it didn't work (unsurprisingly) but upon arrival, both the board and the cache still function properly, once I bent the pins back into place.
  4. jeremywork

IIfx | IINTX 64-pin SIMMs

This one?
  5. jeremywork

IIfx | IINTX 64-pin SIMMs

Doug Brown already covered the PCB design, but IIRC the bottleneck to continued production has been finding available memory packages to install. They can be pulled from more common SIMMs of the period, too.
  6. jeremywork

Quadra 950 and the IIfx architecture

On my IIfx and Q950, the 'Serial Switch' control panel will enable a 'Faster' setting and a 'Compatible' setting in Mac OS. It could still be an over-simplistic method of engaging the IOPs, similarly to how the A/ROSE methodology allowed for complex co-processing, but in reality was only really implemented with memory move operations to reduce the number of interrupts the 030 directly deals with. There's still a dramatic difference when the 030 is under load while A/ROSE is utilized, despite this simplified implementation. Similarly, perhaps when data is relayed to the IOPs, the 030 is able to move to the next instruction faster than if it needed to control the serial directly. I know A/UX is absolutely required to make use of the SCSI DMA onboard the IIfx and available with the WGS95 Pisces card, so it would make sense if A/UX also gave the IOPs more thorough attention.
  7. jeremywork

JackHammer in IIfx no boost in perfomance

It's in the slot next to the PDS-adjacent one (can't remember the order offhand- either #2 or #5) I haven't tested whether there's a performance difference, just didn't want the 68-pin cable blocking more ventilation than necessary, and the 8•24 GC has SIMMs sticking out of it, so it's on the end. While the faster CPU will increase throughput capability, there are some differences in the Nubus itself through the model years: • The Mac II series uses the original Nubus, which runs at 10MHz allowing an average of 10-20MB/s with bursts up to 40MB/s. • The early Quadra series uses a partial implementation of Nubus 90, which runs at 20MHz for increased transfer speeds of around 30MB/s with bursts up to 70MB/s. The partial implementation here allows various cards on the bus to communicate between each other at Nubus 90 speeds, but they can only communicate with the CPU at original Nubus speeds. • The AV Quadras and x100 PowerMacs completed the implementation of Nubus 90, so the CPU can also communicate with devices at Nubus 90 speed. • However, the original release of the x100 PowerMacs used a BART4 Nubus controller, which unintentionally disables Nubus block transfers on all cards if any one card cannot support the feature. The revised BART21 controller fixes this problem, and is present in all 8100/100, 8100/110, and 9150/120 models (rumored to be in some late model 7100/80 and 9150/80s, but not confirmed.) *Nubus speed figures are from Wikipedia In my experience with the ATTO SEIV, the complete Nubus 90 implementation makes a huge difference- compare 18MB/s - 16MB/s for the 840av - 8100/100 to 8MB/s in my 950 with a 601 @ 115MHz. This is ATTO Performance Utility again- I need to try out the benchmark in FWB toolkit to see how the results differ. @joethezombie has a faster read result than I would expect to see in a IIfx, but all of my drives are spinning rust, so it's hard to compare.
  8. jeremywork

Don't the SEIV and the Jackhammer both support Fast/Narrow and Fast/Wide? I opted to save the SEIVs for my newer machines, since only the AVs and 601 machines provide the SCSI manager 4.3 it needs to be bootable- the Jackhammer does this internally so it works in any Nubus machine. I realize boot support is not really the original intention of these cards, but for use with a SCSI2SD I'd imagine being bootable is a big plus. SEIV and a modern 10k drive will do 18MB/s on an 840av, and 16MB/s on an 8100/100, I can't imagine the Jackhammer would do dramatically better (but I guess I'll test it at some point.)
  9. jeremywork

I've got a Jackhammer in my IIfx, connected to a 4GB 68-pin drive (DEC RZ29B). The other drive (Quantum LPS540S) is connected to the internal 50-pin bus. In ATTO Performance Utility, the 50-pin drive reaches about 1.4MB/s and the 68-pin Jackhammer drive reaches about 4.0MB/s. Boot time difference between the two drives with identical OSs is not nearly as dramatic, but I'd expect the reduced latency of a flash solution would make even better use of the wider pipe. Hope this helps! Edit: Also, those tests were conducted in Mac OS 7.6.1. Note that the IIfx does have onboard SCSI DMA (said to reach up to 3MB/s) but DMA is only implemented in A/UX (just like the WGS Pisces card.)
  10. Mine also shows two 'bcom5714' interfaces in the GIGE slot, despite the airport card reporting as a BCM43xx. I suspect these are the two gigabit ethernet ports built-in to the late 2005 models (possibly adapted from the same parts Apple used for the older PCI-X gigabit ethernet add-in cards.) The Bluetooth on mine is definitely a USB device. (PCIe Slot 3 and 4 are an AJA Kona 3 and Apple Fibre Channel Card, which also account for the '7x4' and 'dxc' slots.)
  11. Hopefully these are clearer... Compliments of the Color OneScanner 1200/30 (which apparently could use a good cleaning inside, sorry.)
  12. jeremywork

PowerBook 500 PCMCIA Expansion Module

Very nice find! The rev C version you have will work with wireless cards, if that's your goal. The Proxim Skyline series and equivalent Farallon work in Mac OS 8.1/68k, PPC not required. There was an 802.11a version and an 802.11b version, and (at least the one I have) is single height all the way down the protruding part, leaving the other slot fully free.
  13. Sure seems to be... I ended up backordering this through my GSX account back in 2012 because original retail price seemed like a better deal Gladly- that was two from different cameras, so hopefully between the two the detail is useful. I'll see if I can upload scans shortly. You could try this one for $75, supposing it really is in stock. https://www.macsology.com/922-7152-runway-card-power-mac-g5-late-2005-820-1830-a-630-7054.html
  14. The runway card supports the AirPort/Bluetooth combo module. I took some pictures of mine- let me know if the resolution is not high enough; I can try on a flatbed scanner. https://imgur.com/a/SpImWqr
  15. jeremywork

Centris 650 green screen of death?

From my experience, the OS will sort it out- sounds like it's just not reading the hard drive to start the OS. @0xABE Is the hard drive readable/bootable from your 660av?