All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I use the Retro68 compiler on my Windows 10 machine. I use the Visual Studio IDE. I also have Basilisk II installed on my PC to test builds.
  3. AlexTheCat123

Macintosh Quadra 700 Battery Leakage

I am certain that the SCSI drive has a compatible OS on it because it is running System 7.5. According to my research, U92 is the RTC and PRAM chip, so that shouldn't have anything to do with the SCSI bus, right? It is a relief that the green tint is probably not a problem with the computer itself. I was sort of nervous that I had yet another repair problem on my hands.
  4. olePigeon

Macintosh Quadra 700 Battery Leakage

0000000F 00000001 looks to be a BUS error. I've seen that error on my IIci when my SCSI drives aren't terminated correctly. I wonder if U92 has something to do with the SCSI BUS. 1. I think the green tint is because the monitor doesn't understand Sync on Green? That'd be my guess. 2. This could be related to the error you had already. So maybe the SCSI BUS is still having issues and is preventing you from using a known good SCSI drive. Also, are you certain the OS on it is compatible with your specific machine?
  5. Trash80toHP_Mini

Farallon ETHERMAC LC NSC w/NuBus drivers in the SE/30 PDS?

Thanks for the offer. I've got a pair of DOA LCs I mostly got for hacking the case lids long before the caps issue came to the forefront. They may be good after all? Popped the lid on one and it's PDS is well marked on the silk screen layer. Checked the DOA SE/30 board (got it in trade from someone who borked it in a recap attempt) is marked the same manner. Never realized there was a "Mirrored Z" patterned number scheme for the pins from pin 1 @ 1A to pin 32 @ A32, then over to pin 33 @ B32 and back from there pin 64 @ B1 and finally over to pin 65 @ C1 and up to pin 96 @ C32. 68030 PDS is the same deal with 120 pin. Always bothered me that the columns weren't labeled A-B-C for grid reference on the boards, but now I know how it's done. Spudged the wrap map from the connector side with the help of a top coat of it as a solvent. Which bring a question to mind: Does anyone know if Elmer's Rubber Cement is at all conductive or a good insulator? Figured it'd be the latter, but now I have need to know.
  6. Today
  7. maceffects

@Trash80toHP_Mini if you need an LC to play around with I think I have some, they work but need caps. I'm sure I can lend one out if you think it would be helpful.
  8. Unknown_K

SuperMac Thunder/24 ROM needed

I think you need 3.0 for PPC machines (and probably OS 7.5x and over).
  9. Bolle

SuperMac Thunder/24 ROM needed

Here you go with 3.0.0 and 2.0.0a... SuperMac_Thunder24_2.0.0a.BIN SuperMac_Thunder24_3.0.0.bin
  10. Hi: The other day, my Mac Mini G4 gave a warning telling me the time was set wrong, I fixed it but it's giving me that error again. I suspect the battery is dead. Does it need to be removed? I could just set the time every time I power it on, but I am afraid of it leaking? -Jamie
  11. I have no doubt there are a few pallets of the needful manufacturing equipment sitting in a dark warehouse somewhere that might someday rise like a phoenix from the ashes, but somehow I think the original disks are going to have to get rarer before you find the seed money for that.
  12. Trash80toHP_Mini

Been poking around in the datasheets. The two jumper, two state setup of IIsi/SE/30 cards suggests use of another IC to me?
  13. dkjones96

Color Classic VGA Mod. the CORRECT way

I have upgraded this guy to a Color Classic II logic board(couldn't stand the gimped stock CC performance) and with the 256K expansion I have 768K VRAM. As for screen distortion, it's the photo and I'll try to get a better one. I'm upping the dissipation rating of a resistor that is dissipating too much at the moment and when that is done I will get better photos. It does curve a bit at the top of the screen but it appears to be normal as it did it before on another analog board and is also something I notice in photos of other machines.
  14. PotatoFi

Powerbook 160

There's a Powerbook 160 close by for $75. It includes a few disks, power adapter, a couple of cables, and a black-and-white printer (it looks very compact). I'm wondering if I should go pick it up. My compact Macs have consumed my geek budget this month! Any thoughts?
  15. Jinnai

Board repair recommendations

That's quite a few traces for one chip, you might want to rethink your method but don't worry, it's not the end of the world. If it were me, I'd run a bodge wire to the nearest pad or via in the trace. Johnnya actually has a IIfx that I fixed that way
  16. I actually looked at it last night, it's Arctic MX-4 still in the package, which is carbon based and non-conductive. I bought it last year and promptly forgot about it (cheap ebay impulse buy) when I built my Ryzen rig and replaced the annoyingly rev-happy wraithmax with a Dark Rock Pro 4, not knowing the Dark Rock came with Silver paste. And as far as portioning, I never use more than a pea-sized dot for standard heat-spreaders. I'll probably do the pre-spread approach with the pentium. I had a close-up look before I disassemble the Crescendo, and it looks to be a white thermal pad. But looking at a couple of nekked G3 ZIF modules there's more of like a frame of thermal pad around the whole of the chip and paste right over the much smaller die surface: I'd like to emulate what was going on with the crescendo, so I'll probably end up getting an Arctic thermal pad and carefully trim it to the correct dimensions for the G3, a wee bit of MX-4, and then a nice even cut for the pentium—no paste. And as cool as those IC Graphite pads are, they're also conductive, and there's less potential damage to a slab of silicone than a carefully manufactured graphite pad.
  17. Maybe there's some place in China that can reproduce these floppies in small batches? They can replicate just about everything else nowadays, so why not? It would just take some enterprising people who either have enough of their own money to finance it, or some means of acquiring such funds, using something like GoFundMe or some such. c
  18. Compgeke

Did you lift a pad or lift a trace? Lifting a pad is generally pretty easy to get around. You can scrape a little of the solder mask off the trace (carefully) and bend the lead over to solder onto that, run a small piece of wire from trace to component lead (if it can't bend) or just run a wire to bypass the trace\pad entirely. If you lifted an entire trace, that's a little more difficult and kind of an achievement on its own. In either case, try adding some liquid flux to the joints, adding new solder, adding a little more flux then using a vacuum desoldering gun to clean everything up. Once I got that done, I lift a lot less pads. There're plenty of people in they bay area give or take (myself included) but man, I only trust myself to repair my own stuff, don't think my skills are up for other people's stuff. [
  19. gpbonneau

Apple CD SC question

If you have problem with caps in the future, read this : http://www.asterontech.com/Asterontech/next_cdrom_refurb.html But not sure the drive is the same for CD SC ad CD SC Plus... bibilit has done that on mine and works great now, a vintage juke-box
  20. elbaroni

SE/30 card question

Aha! That's actually pretty obvious now that you say it. Thanks Bolle!
  21. Trash80toHP_Mini

Good idea, but the LC side is abundantly clear given the physical constraints and obvious orientation. Glad I'm not alone. I'm used to the rows flip flopping between PDS and Passthru thruholes and again from component side to solder side. This is the first time I've mucked anything up this badly as far as prototyping goes, but the stuff I've done IRL is not to be believed! I'm liking the key pasteup I did for buzzing the address lines for you, shoulda' come up with that one ages ago.
  22. Grab an LC logicboard to actually verify things. I get this stuff mixed up all the time swapping rows and columns. Siome of the DIN connectors that come with the built in library in Eagle for example have rows swapped. You would think that A meets A, B meets B and C meets C when male and female plug into each other. Well, no Not in all cases at least. Took some time looking at cards and logicboards and what happens when they plug together until I got my own little library of connectors that fit the way like things are described in Apples documentation.
  23. bibilit

Free Macintosh Plus!

The cable connecting the A Board to the Logic Board
  24. Trash80toHP_Mini

No such luck, it was rotated 180 degrees! I think maybe one +5V connection was right, but I'm probably wrong there as well. New worksheet for the map, even corrected the keying as seen from the solder/wrap side of the connectors . . . maybe. LC-030-Worksheet-02-001.PDF
  25. elemenoh

I managed to lift three traces while removing a single ram chip on a 128K logic board. I know, I'm a terrible person. Do any of you have recommendations for someone who can repair logic boards, ideally in the San Francisco Bay Area? Thanks!
  26. Bolle

SE/30 card question

It tells the card if you have a monitor connected or not. Flip it to the left: no monitor connected - right: monitor connected.
  27. Basic goop would do the basic trick. Its cheap and functional. Worst case, if you think its too hot, just use something else. I use the premium stuff on my modern Macs (just re-did some 2012 minis), so I have Kyronaut to spare. I have yet to get a graphite pads.
  1. Load more activity